Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
morning light therapy for insomnia
DoloresTeresa posted:
On the recent blog on Fuhrman.com there is a story of a woman who was cured of psoriatic arthritis using his diet. There is a link to morning light therapy for insomnia but it connects to something else. Did anyone ever hear of morning light therapy?

Dolores

twinb63 responded:
Fuhrman sells (or has sold in the past) a light that has lots of claims attached to it - helps with insomnia, depression, SAD, etc. The one he recommends is large & unwieldy IMO; there are smaller ones that claim to have the same effects. I used a 12" square one last winter & it seemed to raise my spirits in the dead of winter but didn't do anything for my sleep pattern.

EngineerGuy replied to twinb63's response:
Hi Twin63,

Always great to read your posts.

For difficulty sleeping, one tip that helps many, plus is very healthy overall, is to try not to eat or drink anything except water, after 6pm. If we do need to eat, try to make it something light, like fruit or a salad.

If getting hungry, try a large glass of water. This does more than simply put something in the stomach for a few minutes. The body needs water, as part of the metabolic process to draw from its reserves. So the water actually helps the body reduce hunger, by drawing from reserves instead. It is very healthy to go to bed slightly hungry.

Of course, sometimes it happens that we have to eat late, and that's OK sometimes.

If I eat calories late at night and then go to bed (as I have most of my life), even healthy oatmeal, I might wake up in the morning, and have several hours of blurry vision. High blood sugar all night?

I recently added this to my program, and I have been thrilled that I lost 2 pounds on my tummy, while keeping and building strength working out. See if it's a great health tip for you.

Best regards, EngineerGuy

twinb63 replied to EngineerGuy's response:
EG, that is common sense advice that I often ignore. When the sun goes down I start rummaging around for snacks; combination of boredom from not finding anything to watch on the tube & surfing forums on the net. I've started writing down what I eat/drink & at what times, it's a real eye-opener, especially the times. Like you, I'm dealing with BPH & going to the bathroom 3-4 times nightly so my REM time from dreams is short & sweet.

I've written down your suggestions & will keep them handy, especially when I notice boredom setting in. It's just starting new patterns instead of following the habits we have that takes some focus then doing it. As Dr. Kempner used to say to his patients who complained about his diet, "Just do it".

Thanks Stacy, hope you're doing well. Joe.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I had my first and second heart attack in April 2003. ELEVEN years have passed since the heart attack. ELEVEN years since diagnosis of acute heart dis...More

Helpful Tips

2 Salads a Day
Hi folks, Probably the most important tip there is: Eat 2 large salads a day. A salad has lots of greens and vegetables. Romaine ... More
Was this Helpful?
14 of 26 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.