Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Dealing with stress in a productive way
twinb63 posted:
STRESS! For me and maybe you it's self-imposed much of the time. I've tried deep breathing, relaxation exercises & meditation but all of them turned out to be fleeting solutions. OTC tranquilizers from the health food store can only do so much. In the past month or so I've been reading David Reynolds books about constructive living & Morita therapy. The idea is to acknowledge your feelings & the stress surrounding them but then to start doing something that needs to be done. Example, today I was preoccupied with the hostile morons in my neighborhood & instead of gnashing my teeth & going round in circles, mentally, I walked outside in the sunshine for an hour, drinking my filtered water with ice & fresh squeezed lime juice. I came back sweating but relaxed. Yesterday I spent 3 hours cleaning & polishing the headlights/taillights on the car, removing the discoloration & yellowing on the plastic lenses.

Essentially the idea is to do something productive, anything that needs to be done. I really like this idea & my wife is pleased that some things on my ever-increasing honey do list are being done. Reynolds books are in the public library. The two I've been reading are "A manual for constructive living" & "Playing ball on running water". If any of you are like me, you may want to spend some time with Reynolds. Joe.

EngineerGuy responded:
Hi Twin63,

Thanks for an excellent post, Joe. Yes, I have problems dealing with stress too. I enjoy an enlarged prostate, and get to P 2 or 3 times a night, sometimes even more. Happily, I go right back to sleep. I believe stress is a strong contributor to this condition. If stress is making my prostate grow, what else is it doing? That thought could drive me nuts !!

Anyway, I repeat these montras many times a day "Everything is going my way. This comes easily to me." "Many people would be very happy to be in my shoes". "Even ordinary life is quite extraordinary, if we remember to be thankful for what we already have."

Thanks for the tip about David Reynolds, Joe. I'll check it out.

Best regards, EngineerGuy

DoloresTeresa replied to EngineerGuy's response:
I must handle stress o.k. My ex says I'll never get an ulcer but I'm a carrier.

Dolores

EngineerGuy replied to DoloresTeresa's response:
Hi Dolores,

Re: . My ex says I'll never get an ulcer but I'm a carrier.

LOL ROFL You are such a card ! Love it.

Best regards, EngineerGuy

Spotlight: Member Stories

I had my first and second heart attack in April 2003. ELEVEN years have passed since the heart attack. ELEVEN years since diagnosis of acute heart dis...More

Helpful Tips

Killer Athlete's Foot Cure
If you have athlete's foot, gently wash the affected area. I usually got it between my toes. Use a hair dryer on warm, to dry the foot for ... More
Was this Helpful?
12 of 21 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.