Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Questions: Fuhrman Member Center, Cost of Diet
raboof posted:
I've enjoyed reading through the previous discussions in the board. I have a couple of questions.

-- Is the Fuhrman Member Center worth the cost for someone who has read "Eat To Live" and is familiar with Esselstyn/McDougall/Ornish/Novick concepts?

-- Any tips for keeping costs down for someone eating a diet like McDougall ETL/Fuhrman. Make the salad the meal is expensive, particularly in Winter. (Yes, medications are more expensive....

-- If I may recommend a book, the "Forks Over Knives" companion to the movie is quite good. A gentle, non-technical introduction to the advantages of LF vegan eating that is very accessible for newbies, along with a bunch of decent recipes. Cheap, too. http://www.amazon.com/Forks-Over-Knives-Plant-Based-Health/dp/1615190457/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1315158073&sr=1-1

I haven't seen the movie yet, but it is in my Netflix queue.

raboof responded:
Sorry, meant to say "McDougall MWL/Fuhrman ETL"

engineerguy replied to raboof's response:
Hi raboof,

Welcome to the board.

Where did the intersting name Raboof come from?

Is the Fuhrman website worth the cost? In my opinion, if you have Eat To Live, and are meeting you health goals, no need at all. In my opinion, if you are still struggling to meet your health goals, the website is a fabulous resource. You can search old questions and answers and get lots of very valuable information. If you wish, you may even ask me questions, and I will answer to the best of my ability, and may even be helpful.

For myself, I am compelled to become a Fuhrman Health Coach, when I retire. I'm a lost cause, a goner. I'll buy every Fuhrman book, be on the website, etc, for ever. BTW, a new Fuhrman bood "Super Immunity" is coming out at the end of the is month. You can order advanced copies through amazon or barnesandnoble.

For me to meet my health goals, (to show no atherosclerosis in an IMT test - a carotid artery ultrasound), with my heredity, I ahave to follow all the recommendations.

In the spirit of full discloaure, I do have sugar binges about once a month, but I'll have to consider some way to be a bit more moderate about it. I don't crave to break the diet, but a church pot-luck dinner is a bad situation, after the first bite of desert.

Best regards, EngineerGuy

raboof replied to engineerguy's response:
Excellent answer re: Fuhrman site, EG. Thank you.

I'm considering Fuhman's "Super Immunity" book. I bought the revised E2L this year, but was disappointed that it really had not changed that much from the previous edition. I hope the immunity book will add more value for readers of his previous work.

I've learned a bunch reading old posts on this board. I especially enjoy science-based posts with citations and links. It is nice to see controversial issues discussed in a civil manner, like the merits of including nuts in the diet.

I've seen Novick's forums on McDougall's site mentioned in this board. Another valuable resource (IMHO) is http://www.happyhealthylonglife.com/ The author is a medical librarian at the Cleveland Clinic and an Esselstyn fan. She is very evidence-based in her postings and cites authoritative resources. Good recipes, too!

Why "raboof"? My usual choices were taken. Inverting the polite form of FUBAR makes a nym that is easy to remember. Like you, my diet is occasionally FUBAR too...

engineerguy replied to raboof's response:
Hi Raboof,

Thanks for the websites. I'll check it out.

Best regards, EngineerGuy

Spotlight: Member Stories

I'm 33 years old and live in Chicago. I'm a Biology undergrad at Loyola and hope to go on to medical school or an MS/RD program. I follow a v...More

Helpful Tips

Easy Fluoride Treatments for your teeth
Hi folks, Background info: ============ My dentist prescribed some prescription grade fluoride toothpaste. For about $8, I got the ... More
Was this Helpful?
11 of 22 found this helpful

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.