Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
gersen diet
DoloresTeresa posted:
Gersen claimed that his diet could cure cancer. It is pretty much a plant based diet but oddly enough prohibits some foods that Essestyn, Fuhrman and McDougall would allow.

It prohibits berries and pineapple because some of his patients showed an allergic reaction to them. Many foods are forbidden because they contain aromatic acids.

He allows potatoes but not sweet potatoes or yams. Only one half a banana per week. No nuts or seeds. Cooked spinach but not raw spinach.

I am wondering how he came up with his rules. The prohibition against smoking and alcohol seems very reasonable. He only allows purified water--no chemicals like fluoride in the water.

I saw a video on the Gersen diet and they claim that mercury fillings in the teeth are another no no.

Very interesting but the some of the things that Fuhrman says will prevent cancer, Gersen says are forbidden if you want to cure cancer.

Dolores

jc3737 responded:
Berries and otherr fruits have lots of fructose which some say is cancer promoting and sweet potatoes can inhibit iron absorption.Why greens have to be cooked I don't know and why no nuts I don't know unless its because some may be tainted with aflatoxins.

DoloresTeresa replied to jc3737's response:
No berries or pineapple because they contain aromatic acids. And no mushrooms because they say they are too hard to digest. No nuts and seeds because they are too high in protein and fat. Only bread from whole rye flour and not very much of this.

I know there are lots of testimonials about people being cured using his diet but is there any scientific study?

The best things he recommends are in line with other plant based diets--no canned or processed foods, no sugar but he allows a couple of teaspoons of maple syrup or honey, no alcohol or tobacco, no dairy but he does allow some fat free organic yogurt, all fruits and vegetables must be organic.

Dolores

EngineerGuy replied to DoloresTeresa's response:
Hi Dolores,

Very interesting. Great to chat, as always.

I guess you have to go with the best data, the most insightful analysis, and the best results. When we see a confluence between epidemiological studies, animal studies, analysis of biochemical pathways in the human body, it starts to get convincing. Studies like human telomeres longer in a group on a whole plant based diet, compared to controls. The study was done by Blackburn, a nobel prize winner, collaborating with Ornish.

(1) "Previous studies found a protective effect of berries, citrus fruits, and yellow-orange vegetables, which was likely due to their high concentration of flavonoid and carotenoid antioxidants, respectively.10,19,20Additional studies on specific food groups have also found a reduced risk of colon polyps with high intake of green leafy vegetables (many of which are cruciferous), onions, and garlic.12,19"

(1) http://www.diseaseproof.com/archives/cat-cancer.html

Lots of people claim lots of things. Gersen apparently is not aware of the amazing anti-cancer benefits of mushrooms and onions. I wouldn't know either, if I hadn't read it on Fuhrman's website and books. By the way, eat mushrooms cooked, because of natural toxins in the mushrooms. Perhaps that's what Gersen was referring to. I am sure Gersen has some excellent ideas. But I am still working on moving further into Fuhrman land.

Best regards, EngineerGuy

DoloresTeresa replied to EngineerGuy's response:
Gersen is long dead and his elderly daughter is carrying on his work. I am sure that in his day he did not have the advantage of the technology that makes some of today's studies possible.

Dolores

Spotlight: Member Stories

I'm 33 years old and live in Chicago. I'm a Biology undergrad at Loyola and hope to go on to medical school or an MS/RD program. I follow a v...More

Helpful Tips

Killer Athlete's Foot Cure
If you have athlete's foot, gently wash the affected area. I usually got it between my toes. Use a hair dryer on warm, to dry the foot for ... More
Was this Helpful?
12 of 21 found this helpful

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.