Skip to content
Vitamin B12
DoloresTeresa posted:
Will someone please tell me the amount of B12 to take? The RDA is 6 mcg but no one sells this amount. I bought a children's chewable vitamin with 18 mcgs but in does not have the methyl group (it is the cyano type) and also I have been reading about the dangers of multivitamins but the children's have smaller amounts of just about everything. The vitamin is sold in 500 or 1000 mcgs and sometimes higher in the health food store near me. If I buy this how often should I take it? Neither Fuhrman nor Esselstyn nor McDougall are at all clear on this. The bottle of 1000 mcgs says to take one a day. Yet I have read elsewhere to take this amount once a month. What do you guys do?

Dolores

engineerguy responded:
Hi Dolores,

Always great to chat.

Dr. Fuhrman adds Vitamin B12 (as methylcobalamin)
30mcg 500% to his Gentle Care. That's what I take. I view this as one expert's opinion. We are very tolerant to over doses of B12, so there is little concern for harm.

Some people need much more, due to individual variation. People who become vegan, usually have enough B12 stored in them to last even 10 years or more. But then again, many people on the SAD need strong supplements. Individual variation. Ask your doctor for a blood test to find out, if you have a concern.

Best regards, EngineerGuy

Spotlight: Member Stories

I'm 33 years old and live in Chicago. I'm a Biology undergrad at Loyola and hope to go on to medical school or an MS/RD program. I follow a v...More

Helpful Tips

Killer Athlete's Foot Cure
If you have athlete's foot, gently wash the affected area. I usually got it between my toes. Use a hair dryer on warm, to dry the foot for ... More
Was this Helpful?
12 of 21 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.