Skip to content

Bubbajum responded:
WOW

I loved reading this article, with all it's history.
Thanks for posting.

jc3737 replied to Bubbajum's response:
Most think of the lowly potato as having little nutritional value but the facts seem to discredit that idea.Tons of potassium help keep my blood pressure down....along with a low sodium diet.

EngineerGuy replied to jc3737's response:
Hi jc,

Hi Bubbajum,

While Fuhrman discourages potato consumption due to low glycemic index, it is nutritious. My wife and I enjoy potatoes fairly often. But I don't go through 7-8 pounds a week, like I used to, on Pritikin.

Best regards, EngineerGuy

jc3737 replied to EngineerGuy's response:
I thought Fuhrman thought potatoes were OK just not the most nutritious choice compared to greens.They may not have the high level of nutrients as greens but the do have massive amounts of potassium which helps with blood pressure.Thats what I got from "super Immunity" if I understood correctly.

DoloresTeresa replied to jc3737's response:
Potatoes also have a relatively high amount of copper. Too little copper and cholesterol rises. Fructose depletes copper and raises cholesterol. High doses of vitamin c also deplete copper and cause a rise in cholesterol. High doses of vitamin c also cause thickening of the carotid artery possibly because of copper depletion.

While I can't disagree with Fuhrman on the importance of high nutrient density promoting good health, I do take issue with dismissing some perfectly good foods because they are low on the list of the profile he uses. Just because they don't have lots of whatever it is he is counting doesn't mean that there isn't some perfectly useful and vital nutrient whose absence in the diet might wreak havoc. Not that you might not find that nutrient elsewhere (beans have plenty of copper) but it is nice to have a choice of good things.

Dolores

jc3737 replied to DoloresTeresa's response:
Thats a good anaylsis.

I'm not prepared to say Fuhrman is dead wrong about potatoes but I would need to see more evidence that its low on the nutrition scale.How can any food that lowers my blood pressure be low on any scale.But I will keep an open mind and continue to look at the evidence.

And groups of people that live largely on potatoes seem to do exceptionally well.The same for rice.

I'm still going to eat tons of greens and a wide variety of the healthiest vegetables but I will aslo continue to have a baked potato at every meal.

EngineerGuy replied to DoloresTeresa's response:
Hi Dolores,

Hi jc,

Dr. Fuhrman took copper out of his Gently Care multivitamin. For more information, with references, check his website - Shop - Supplements - Gentle Care - Detail.

Copper from foods that you mention, Dolores, is excellent. Fuhrman is only talking about possible harm from copper from supplements. I state this just for those reading.

Best regards, EngineerGuy

Spotlight: Member Stories

I have severe atherosclerosis with ectasiac (long, stretched out) sections, small aneurysms in primary cardiac arteries. I am blessed to also have ...More

Helpful Tips

Killer Athlete's Foot Cure
If you have athlete's foot, gently wash the affected area. I usually got it between my toes. Use a hair dryer on warm, to dry the foot for ... More
Was this Helpful?
12 of 21 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.