Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
nuts and seeds
DoloresTeresa posted:
I was watching a video of a presentation of the vegetarian society of Hawaii and the speaker said the liver puts vitamin E on top of the molecule of LDL cholesterol. I am wondering if this is why EG saw reversal of the plaque in his carotids after eating nuts. However, the highest amount of E per ounce is in almonds and sunflower seed kernels. Other nuts have very little. The next highest amount of E is in frozen spinach--about the same amount as almonds and sesame seeds. For some reason, cooked raw spinach has half the amount as in cooked frozen spinach.

Dolores

EngineerGuy responded:
Hi Dolores,

Thanks for the interesting question.

I think nuts and seeds are very beneficial. However, Esselstyn has the best medically demonstrated results (Fuhrman has not completed a study as of yet). Esselstyn carefully avoided nuts as too high in fat.

Changes I made, since getting worse in my IMT, versus improving now:

I had a vitamin D deficiency (16 ng/ml), in spite of a great deal of sunlight. Now I take 2000 IU of D3 daily, and blood tests show I am about 55.

I lost about 7 pounds.

I changed from 6 meals a day, to 2 or 3 meals.

My nutritional density is much higher.

I am exercising less. I used to run 4 miles a day, weights 3x a week. I often worked out hard, and would tend to be famished, aand perhaps overeat, especially at night. Now I run 2 miles a dday, and try to avoid eating late at night, or at least minimize it. I can probably run faster now, although perhaps not as far.

I still try to get lots of sleep.

So, it's hard to say one thing was responsible. I think they are all helpful.

That's my opinion. All are very welcome to post their experience.

Best regards, EngineerGuy

Spotlight: Member Stories

Hi folks, I've lived in beautiful Salt Lake City for the last 6 years (as of 2010). I had a mild 30's crisis, and adopted the Pritikin Diet,...More

Helpful Tips

Easy Fluoride Treatments for your teeth
Hi folks, Background info: ============ My dentist prescribed some prescription grade fluoride toothpaste. For about $8, I got the ... More
Was this Helpful?
11 of 22 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.