Skip to content
viutamin E
DoloresTeresa posted:
The liver puts vitamin E on the LDL particles. This protects the vitamin E. Evidently, according to a speaker at the vegetarian society of hawaii, the unprotected LDL is what causes atherosclerosis.

Dolores

engineerguy responded:
Hi Dolores,

Thanks for your post.

For those reading, allow me to elaborate the following.

We get vitamin E from a mostly whole plant based diet, and coating LDL with the many forms of vitamin E present in the array of phytochemicals, is doubtless part of the success of our program.

I Googled Vitamin E Heart Disease, and immediately got this

http://lpi.oregonstate.edu/ss02/blumberg.html

The link discusses contradictory data, overall not showing any actual demonstrated benefit to vitamin E supplements. It's amazing that the author simply cannot take No for an answer. He said studies might be designed to look for a reduction in oxidative stress, perhaps rather than an actual reduction in heart disease.

The supplement and pharmaceutical industries have spent years attempting to isolate effective active ingredients, from the whole plant based diet, to capture the benefits of the diet. So far, the whole plant based is the most effective treatment for degenerative diseases, effecting a cure for most people. The attempts at isolated purified extracts, have had very limited success.

Best regards, EngineerGuy

DoloresTeresa replied to engineerguy's response:
Yes, i am convinced that isolated vitamins outside the food matrix are not helpful and the latest I have been reading suggests they are actually harmful, possibly by causing imbalances of other vitamins. I bought a bottle of children's multivitamins to get the B12 in a reasonable amount. I just don't like the idea of taking the huge amounts sold in the health food stores. They have reasonable amounts of the other vitamins as opposed to the amounts in vitamins for adults. However, I am even worried now about these.

I bought some nutritional yeast for the B12 but when I got it home, discovered it contains quite a bit of folic acid which I do not want. So now I have to find something else.

Dolores

engineerguy replied to DoloresTeresa's response:
Hi Dolores,

Do you suspect you are deficient in B12? Some people do need a much larger amount of B12, simply due to individual variation between people.

If you are looking to B12 simply because you are becoming vegan, then about 30 micrograms is fine. If you have serious concerns about a possible deficiency, it's best to ask your doctor to prescribe a blood test, to either confirm it, or rule it out, in which case something else is the problem.

However, people are very tolerant of very large B12 doses, even injections.

DoloresTeresa replied to engineerguy's response:
EG, I don't want to send away for B12. I cannot find it in 30mcg doses. I heard that Whole Foods (which would require my traveling quite a distance to reach) has a sublingual B12 in liquid form and a drop is about 40mcg. Since I am hardly eating any meat I think I should use it. While everyone says people are tolerant of large doses, I am always skeptical of taking anything outside the food matrix. As you well know, next year someone could do some kind of study and discover something very negative. For instance, I have already read that since B12 promotes cell growth, large doses could also promote the growth of cancer cells.

The nutritional yeast I bought has folic acid in it. One tablespoon provides 40% of the daily value for B12 but it also provides 40% of the DV for folic acid. After years and years of saying women (especially pregnant women) need folic acid and providing it in all the pre natal vitamins the doctor prescribed, they now say you should not be taking it. I do not worry about folic acid because I eat so many greens and beans.

So I get very nervous about not getting enough and occasionally eat canned wild caught sockeye salmon.

Dolores

engineerguy replied to DoloresTeresa's response:
Hi Dolores,

I take Gentle Care, from www.drfuhrman.com You can read a very good explanation of how the nutrients were chosen. Just click details.

Re: So I get very nervous about not getting enough and occasionally eat canned wild caught sockeye salmon.

Excellent !

Spotlight: Member Stories

I'm 33 years old and live in Chicago. I'm a Biology undergrad at Loyola and hope to go on to medical school or an MS/RD program. I follow a v...More

Helpful Tips

2 Salads a Day
Hi folks, Probably the most important tip there is: Eat 2 large salads a day. A salad has lots of greens and vegetables. Romaine ... More
Was this Helpful?
14 of 26 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.