Skip to content
Crazy idea?
AttyWSW posted:
O.K., so I'm really into green shakes now. I usually have one for breakfast. Sometimes for dinner. I use kale or collards, soy milk, and generally whatever I have around. Apple, carrots, avacado, whatever I have.
Why couldn't McDonald's taste test various recipes for green shakes. Find one that is most appealing in taste to the masses and sell them as a nutritious, healthy alternative? They could even have more than one flavor. I think it would sell. Do you?

EngineerGuy responded:
Hi AttyWSW,

Cool - you are into green shakes. It took me a year on Fuhrman before I tried my first green shake. Now I have them almost every day for breakfast. So, congrats !!

McDonalds offering green shakes? Let's not get crazy. Are we driven to this diet because we can't stand the taste of pizza, hamburgers, fries or cheese or deserts? No, we're driven to this diet because we have learned to love this diet, and do love this diet, and insist that we will not sacrifice our health for frequent pizza, hamburgers, fries or cheese or deserts.

On the other hand, juiced fruit and veggies are popular in Singapore, as I saw passing through the Singapore airport, and Malaysia, etc. So, maybe you are onto something! What do I know? If you ask my wirfe, not much !! And, she's usually right.

Best regards, EngineerGuy

AttyWSW replied to EngineerGuy's response:
E.G. I have a couple of questions:
1. What do you generally put in your green shakes?
2. Do you believe you get the same sense of fullness from drinking a green shake as you would from eating a salad?
3. Do you just drink one for breakfast or do you ever drink one for lunch or dinner?

Thanks!

Hanawaiman6358 replied to AttyWSW's response:
Can I chime in? I drink green smoothies nearly daily. Lots of kale. I pack it in. One red delicious apple, 4 limes, and maybe a calamansi or two from my tree, a Costco roamine lettuce, water, ice and some nasty sugar. This is wonderful. It all goes in my Vita Mix

Hanawaiman6358 replied to Hanawaiman6358's response:
I probably drink too many smoothies. Often I have this for dinner. Into my trusty old over used Vita Mix: Oatmeal, frozen bananas, ice, lentils, bread (I grind my own grain and bake it), thawed strawberries, thawed blue/blackberries. This is very filling but the sense of fullness doesn't last as long as if I ate everything without blending. That makes sense. It is soo yummy. I think my green smoothies (previous post) are so full of nutrients that I can easily go 24 hours without eating anything, which I do twice a week.

EngineerGuy replied to Hanawaiman6358's response:
Hi Hanawaiman6358,

Hi AttyWSW,

I have a smoothie almost every day for breakfast. They have great lasting power, until 2 or 3PM maybe.

I have 1 tblsp flaxseed, 2 tblsp sesame seeds, 4 tblsp sunflower seeds, 1 oz tofu, 1 tblsp pomagranate seeds (if available), 1 heaping tblsp unsweetened cocoa, 1/2 box raisins, 3 prunes, some dates or crushed dates, 1/2 frozen banana, maybe 1 frozen asparagus spear, frozen blueberries, blackberries, raspberries, 1 oz pomagranate juice, 1 cup water, and fill it up choosing from romaine, spinach, kale, cauliflower, green cabbage, red cabbage, broccoli, and the cat, if it sits still.

The tofu is a recent addition. It is very helpful. I think it helps my noon workouts. Tofu and sunflower seeds with a meal, right after the workout, is excellent too. I no longer have a snack before a workout.

After 2 years of having broccoli in the smoothie almost every day, I did find out that I can get too much blended broccoli. I got an itchy rash on my legs, where my pants rub against my calves. Eventually I found that athletes foot cream would help the rash (Desenex, etc). However, if I cut out the broccoli in the daily smoothie, the rash went away in a couple weeks.

I can eat raw broccoli. I can eat steamed broccoli. I just cannot eat much blended broccoli. Perhaps the anti-cancer nutrients built up in my body, over time, and caused a rash where my legs were rubbed. Strange.

But I enjoy the smoothie. I used to share the colds of people around me. Now I watch them suffer through their colds. I DO NOT preach to a person with a cold, about preventing colds with diet.

I try not to preach at all. It's difficult. Always be informative, empowering and uplifting. Do not criticize what other people are doing.

Best regards, EngineerGuy

Bubbajum replied to EngineerGuy's response:
Smoothies are how I went from carnivore to almost vegan. I had a heart attack a couple years ago because of bad lifestyle choices. My diet was meat, dairy, sugar"026..and very little vegetables and fruits. The only vegetables I ate were french fries and corn also the little bits if spinage that would float in wedding soup, that was it nothing else as far as vegetables are concerned.

A year after the heart attack I entered the Dr Dean Ornish program and it has since radically changed my life and my family's life. My high blood pressure is gone the diabetes is gone and have lost 85lbs so far.

I had to figure a way to get veggies in me since plant based eating is ¼ the program. In come smoothies at first they had a high fruit content to cover up the vegetable taste but slowly my pallet changed and I was able to change the ratio, more veg less fruit. Now I make what I call a "chunky" the fruit is blended smooth but the veggies are left chunky. The reason for this was in a movie I saw Processed People The Documentary. We are meant to eat our food not drink it, salvia the first step in digestion then the molars and our really long intestines to extract every bit of nutrition out of our food. So with my morning chunky I get too eat my spinage kale and carrots along with the ¼ cup of rolled oats and was it down with banana, strawberry and almond milk.

Because of Christ

Gregg

Spotlight: Member Stories

I had my first and second heart attack in April 2003. ELEVEN years have passed since the heart attack. ELEVEN years since diagnosis of acute heart dis...More

Helpful Tips

Easy Fluoride Treatments for your teeth
Hi folks, Background info: ============ My dentist prescribed some prescription grade fluoride toothpaste. For about $8, I got the ... More
Was this Helpful?
11 of 22 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.