Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Uh Oh and Dang
Hanawaiman6358 posted:
I was reviewing Dr. Esselstyn's web site and look what I found under his Q&A section: Smoothies — How about smoothies? I love them! [br>Avoid smoothies. The fiber is so finely pureed that its helpful properties are destroyed. The sugar is stripped from the fruit, bypasses salivary digestion and results in a surge of glucose and the accompanying fructose contributes to inflammation and hypertension.
I have a home glucose kit. I better check myself. I have wondered about the fiber being too refined. Hmmm . . .

DoloresTeresa responded:
Jeff Novick on the McDougall website says something similar. You can use the search on this website to find Jeff's comments I believe. Fuhrman also recommends the vita mix which is powerful enough to toss tree limbs into and end up with a smoothie.

I saw some recipes for some smoothies in Fuhrman's book and wondered why you just can't eat the ingredients instead of tossing them into the vita mix. Unlike juicing which requires a ton of fruits and vegetables just to get one glass of juice, the smoothie retains all of the ingredients, albeit, a lot smoother.

Dolores

twinb63 replied to DoloresTeresa's response:
Awww, I don't know if Essy is right on this one or not. Seems to me he may be underestimating the capacity of our bodies to extract nutrients from food, in whatever form.

EngineerGuy responded:
Hi Hanawaiman6358,

Good question about smoothies. Most of the general public makes smoothies out of yogurt and fruit. This would not be a smoothie that we would advocate at all.

Smoothies that Fuhrman advocates are also called blended salads. The purpose is to provide a delicious way to consume more veggies. Enough fruit is included to make it palatable. Some nuts or seeds are included to increase absorption, and for the health benefits of nuts and seeds. But the main purpose is to eat more veggies.

So, sure, if the smoothie is mostly or all fruit, and tastes like a milk shake, I agree with the objections you copied.

Best regards, EngineerGuy

Bubbajum replied to EngineerGuy's response:
Smoothies are how I went from carnivore to almost vegan. I had a heart attack a couple years ago because of bad lifestyle choices. My diet was meat, dairy, sugar"026..and very little vegetables and fruits. The only vegetables I ate were french fries and corn also the little bits if spinage that would float in wedding soup, that was it nothing else as far as vegetables are concerned.

A year after the heart attack I entered the Dr Dean Ornish program and it has since radically changed my life and my family's life. My high blood pressure is gone the diabetes is gone and have lost 85lbs so far.

I had to figure a way to get veggies in me since plant based eating is ¼ the program. In come smoothies at first they had a high fruit content to cover up the vegetable taste but slowly my pallet changed and I was able to change the ratio, more veg less fruit. Now I make what I call a "chunky" the fruit is blended smooth but the veggies are left chunky. The reason for this was in a movie I saw Processed People The Documentary. We are meant to eat our food not drink it, salvia the first step in digestion then the molars and our really long intestines to extract every bit of nutrition out of our food. So with my morning chunky I get too eat my spinage kale and carrots along with the ¼ cup of rolled oats and was it down with banana, strawberry and almond milk.

Because of Christ

Gregg

EngineerGuy replied to Bubbajum's response:
Hi Greg,

Thanks for the great post. And, congratulations on your great successes !! You are a champ !

Best regards, EngineerGuy

Spotlight: Member Stories

Hi folks, I've lived in beautiful Salt Lake City for the last 6 years (as of 2010). I had a mild 30's crisis, and adopted the Pritikin Diet,...More

Helpful Tips

2 Salads a Day
Hi folks, Probably the most important tip there is: Eat 2 large salads a day. A salad has lots of greens and vegetables. Romaine ... More
Was this Helpful?
14 of 26 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.