Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Wheat Belly
twinb63 posted:
I think William Davis who wrote this book is on to something important - modern day wheat, the basis of the "healthy whole grains" mantra - is destructive to us. This is not the wheat we ate growing up and our ancestors ate for millenium, this is one of the thousands of genetically engineered strains which has become one of the foundations of the SAD.

My own experience bears out his own. I stopped eating wheat products completely and my appetite diminished, my belly shunk 6", and my lipids improved considerably. Admittedly I was on a diet to increase vegetables as well, but I've done that before while eating wheat and the results were not as dramatic as they are now.

He's a cardiologist and not in the low fat camp, but I think he's focusing on an important issue. Has anyone else read his book or followed his advice about not eating wheat?
http://www.trackyourplaque.com/blog/2011/12/are-you-hungry.html

jc3737 responded:
I have his book and frequently read his articles.(not that I accept most of his ideas...just keeping an open mind).I must not be alergic to wheat becasue I can't tell any difference but then I only have one piece of ezekiel bread per day.(sprouted garin low sodium bread).

twinb63 replied to jc3737's response:
I'm not allergic to wheat either, but like you JC I keep an open mind for ways to help my medical conditions. I just ordered the VAP blood tests from Life Extension and I'm curious to see what the results are compared to last summer when I had them done and was not as careful with my eating as I am now.

jc3737 replied to twinb63's response:
From Dr Davis:

http://forums.webmd.com/3/diet-debate/forum/260

twinb63 replied to jc3737's response:
Strong words, maybe Davis hasn't seen Essy's website with photos of the clogged artery and the same one that's clear after the diet; I think it was from the physician Essy had advised. Still, I think Davis's point about wheat is valid, even though it's 'off topic' in this forum. Joe.

jc3737 replied to twinb63's response:
I would like to see the challanges to Esse's study.Dr Davis claims to have info that shows the study to be flawed and that the photos of the cleared arteries to not really be significant.

I asked him about that on his message board and I hope he is preparing an article.

engineerguy replied to jc3737's response:
Hi folks,

One thing anyone has to see. Dr. Esselstyn's results are the best results ever medically documented for heart patients, bar none. As Essy said, the results of the Lions Heart Study, with the Mediterranean Diet, were quite impressive, compared to the control group of standard medical care.

But the Mediterranean diet group had "wretched" results, compared to Esselstyn. In the Mediterranean diet group, 1/4 of the group had a heart attack, or died, in the 4 year duration of the study. Compare that to 18 people in the Esselstyn study, going 20 years with no heart attacks. And of these 18, 5 were told by their cardiologists that they had a year to live. The Esselstyn group was worse condition than the Lion Heart Study group. It should be said that one of the 18 died after 8 years, of cardiac arrhythmia (which is not a heart attack). That person was one of those given less than a year by their cardiologist, but lived 8 years.

True, Esselstyn's group had no control group. His group had 48 cardiac events prior to starting Esselstyn's diet. Those who wish to ignore the results because there was no control group, are simply looking for a reason to ignore the data.

Also bear in mind, demonstrated results trump someone else who "claims" great resutls, and great theories.

Best regards, EngineerGuy

jc3737 replied to engineerguy's response:
1 day ago
Walter Willet jc3737 posted: Prof Walter Willet is about as close to the ultimate authority as to what constitutes solid science as we will find today.That does not make him right just universally recognized as one of if not the leading authority on the science of nutrition.....again that does not make him right.

"The Harvard medical School sponsors publication of nutrition related books of interest to the general public. Of those already in bookstores, notable is the national best seller, Eat, Drink and Be Healthy, by the Division of Nutrition's Professor Walter C. Willett, MD.
In Eat, Drink, and Be Healthy, Dr. Walter Willett explains why the USDA guidelines -- the famous food pyramid -- are not only wrong but also dangerous. Debunking current dietary myths such as the evils of eggs and how high milk consumption does a body good, Dr. Willett sets an all-new nutritional standard. You'll discover:
"022 Eye-opening new research on the healthiest carbohydrates, fats, and proteins
"022 Why weight control is the single most important factor
"022 Menu plans and recipes that make it easy to"

jc3737 replied to jc3737's response:
http://www.nyas.org/Publications/Detail.aspx?cid=4d87df6f-ae04-4c6d-86db-2f100895a8f7

DoloresTeresa replied to engineerguy's response:
There are a couple of things that can cause arrhythmia and one of them is a blocked artery. So in this case it could be splitting hairs to say it was not a heart attack if it was caused by a blocked artery.

Dolores

Spotlight: Member Stories

I had my first and second heart attack in April 2003. ELEVEN years have passed since the heart attack. ELEVEN years since diagnosis of acute heart dis...More

Helpful Tips

2 Salads a Day
Hi folks, Probably the most important tip there is: Eat 2 large salads a day. A salad has lots of greens and vegetables. Romaine ... More
Was this Helpful?
14 of 26 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.