Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Telomerase increase with Ornish Diet
engineerguy posted:
Hi folks,

Here's an amazing reference

www.pubmed.com/18799354

Dr. Ornish collaborated with Nobel Prize winner Dr. Elizabeth Blackburn. She got the 2009 Nobel Prize in Medicine, for work with telomeres, and the discovery of telomerase, the enzyme that repairs telomeres.

Telomeres are like the plastic sleeve on the ends of shoelaces, except telomeres are on the ends of DNA twisted pairs, in our chromosomes. As we age, the telomeres shorten, and when the telomeres get too short, the DNA unravels, and then we unravel. It's a theory of aging.

The Ornish diet increased telomerase by 30%. That is amazing.

Best regards, EngineerGuy

josvin84 responded:
Interesting result from Dr. Ornish as usual. Not long ago I watched Elizabeth Blackburn give a presentation at one of Google sponsored sessions. She spoke an hour long about telomeres and telomerase but not once did she refer to the results of this study dating back to 2008.
You can watch session on youtube : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irUQEG4BSK4

engineerguy replied to josvin84's response:
Hi Josvin,

Thanks for the excellent link.

Here's some more technical, but interesting links on telomeres and telomerase.

http://www.ibioseminars.org/lectures/cell-bio-a-med/elizabeth-blackburn.html

The take home message is that telomeres and telomerase are wonderful things. Our diet has been shown to increase it. "Telomere shortness in human beings is emerging as a prognostic marker of disease risk, progression, and premature mortality in many types of cancer, including breast, prostate, colorectal, bladder, head and neck, lung, and renal cell."

Best regards, EngineerGuy

Spotlight: Member Stories

55 year old male. Ex marathon runner and still an all around jock. I run, lift weights, yoga and box. I was a proud carnivore for 55 years. Few co...More

Helpful Tips

2 Salads a Day
Hi folks, Probably the most important tip there is: Eat 2 large salads a day. A salad has lots of greens and vegetables. Romaine ... More
Was this Helpful?
14 of 26 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.