Skip to content
hulled hemp seeds?
twinb63 posted:
Costco is selling a package of hulled hemp seeds, called hearts. Says to sprinkle them on salads, etc., for Omega 3 & 6; 10 gms fat per 3 tbls. Anyone ever use these seeds or know about them? Thanks, Joe.

engineerguy responded:
Hi Joe,

Hemp seeds are very healthy. Dr. Fuhrman recommends 1 tablespoon of flaxseeds, hemp or chia daily.

I don't know if hemp seeds are available unhulled. If so, that would be preferable. (Sesame seeds are available hulled or unhulled, and we prefer the unhulled, for better nutrition.)

My answer would be yes, to use the hulled hemp seeds, mixed with flaxseeds and maybe chia seeds. The variety is best.

Flax, hemp and chia seeds are high in omega 3 oils, which are very valuable.

For those who may be reading, we make a very clear distiction between, for example, flaxseeds (healthy) and flaxseed oil (unhealthy - avoid). Flaxseeds contain omega 3 oils, in their protective natural packaging, plus many healthy lignins, phytochemicals, antioxidants, minerals, etc. The oil starts going rancid immediately, without the protective natural package, and the oil is totally devoid of most of the other nutrients present in the seed.

Best regards, EngineerGuy

Spotlight: Member Stories

I was diagnosed with diabetes in March of 2007. Ever since then I've been slowly losing weight, exercising and eating as healthy as I can. Thanks ...More

Helpful Tips

2 Salads a Day
Hi folks, Probably the most important tip there is: Eat 2 large salads a day. A salad has lots of greens and vegetables. Romaine ... More
Was this Helpful?
14 of 26 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.