Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
When is a seed . . . a seed?
Hanawaiman6358 posted:
I read lots about nuts and seeds and their importance. I also read about Dr. Esselstyn's caution about nuts and seeds. My question is regarding seeds. Wheat, rice, oats are all seeds. My grandson planted kamut in my garden. I grow wheat with my class at school after reading The Little Red Hen. But I know you are not referring to these seeds (wheat, rice, kamut, etc.) when you say "nuts and seeds." So what characteristics make a seed a "seed?" Is it the fat content? I always enjoy this site even though I don't contribute very often. Also, while watching Dr. Oz I heard his recommendation about resveratrol. I bought some at Costco. Hmmm . . . Any thoughts?

jc3737 responded:
Here is some personal evidence that nuts may be important in keeping cholesterol low.

http://forums.webmd.com/3/diet-debate/forum/348

Don't take it as science because it may be a lab error or may only pertain to my situation.

engineerguy replied to jc3737's response:
Hi Hanawaiman6358,

Re: " I always enjoy this site even though I don't contribute very often. "

I'm very glad you enjoy the site, as do I. You are always welcome, of course.

When is a seed a seed? Great question, actually. Wheat and rice, it seems to me also, are also seeds. All I would be able to do is to Google it, to get some idea. I'd never thought of it before you pointed it out. ^_^ And, a quick glance doesn't appear to provide a quick answer. OK, Hanawaiman, you have found a modern conundrum !!

Best regards, EngineerGuy

Spotlight: Member Stories

I had my first and second heart attack in April 2003. ELEVEN years have passed since the heart attack. ELEVEN years since diagnosis of acute heart dis...More

Helpful Tips

2 Salads a Day
Hi folks, Probably the most important tip there is: Eat 2 large salads a day. A salad has lots of greens and vegetables. Romaine ... More
Was this Helpful?
14 of 26 found this helpful

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.