Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Dr Fuhrman new book The End Of Diabetes
engineerguy posted:
Hi folks,

Dr. Fuhrman's new book "The End Of Diabetes" was just published Dec 26. I pre-ordered it, so I have just finished reading it. Dr. Fuhrman's diet has been working great for me, for over 5 years.

The book has a lot of new information that is fascinating, and helpful for all people, as well as diabetics. I recommend this book, as well as Eat To Live, for all people interested in health.

And, for me, there was a special bonus. In chapter 10, case history #2, is my case history!! No, I don't have diabetes (my father died of diabetes), but I documented my improvement of IMT (carotid artery ultrasound) results, which got worse (increase in atherosclerosis) on another healthy diet, but improved on Dr. Fuhrman's program. So, I am pleased to help document the improvements on Fuhrman's program.

Dr. Fuhrman is getting traction recently. His book "Eat To Live" is a NYT #1 best seller. It is also the best selling book, of any category, on amazon.com. He has been on Dr. Oz several times, recently. Dr. Oz said that Dr. Fuhrman's diet is the best weight loss diet. Hundreds of physicians have emailed Dr. Fuhrman with enthusiastic results from patients. I myself know of 2 diabetics getting off oral medications, because I told them of this diet. I know of 2 people who are getting off hypertensive medication, and have eliminated ischemic chest pain, because I told them about this diet.

Best regards, EngineerGuy

anon615 responded:
The one person out of the three featured in the movie Chow Down who was unsuccessful was Garnet, an overweight diabetic who, unlike the two others who used the Esselstyn higher starch diet, used the Fuhrman Eat to Live plan. She even had the benefit of speaking to Dr. Fuhrman himself.

The reason she was unsuccessful had nothing to do with the diet itself, but the difficulty it presented in cooking and preparing food that was so different from the SAD her family eats. And of course the fact that the two men had devoted wives who carefully prepared all their meals to make sure they were compliant. Garnet's family did nothing to help her achieve her goals and not only that, she prepared her meals and separately, those of her family (while keeping house and working a full time job)

I believe it would have been easier on Garnet to use the McDougall, Esselstyn type of diet because she could have prepared lots of potatoes, rice, corn, tortillas and enchiladas, beans and other starchy comfort foods for both herself and the family and just thrown a roast or some chicken into the oven for them. She could have made one gigantic container of raw vegetable and lettuce salad and kept it in the fridge to use each day. And microwaved frozen vegies. For breakfast instead of chopping and whipping up smoothies, a bowl of oatmeal would have done the trick.

Alternatively she could have ignored the selfish males in her family and told them to fend for themselves. Get some backbone Garnet.

Dolores

engineerguy replied to anon615's response:
Hi Dolores,

You are right. Poor Garnet was surrounded by rich tempting food, and worked full time at work and at home. I myself do not do well, visiting family and traveling. I just saw family for 4 days, and did better. That's progress, for me.

On the both the Fuhrman and McDougall websites, there are posts of people who say they are doing better than they did on the other diet. I myself am doing better on Fuhrman, compared to McDougall. But I think you are right, that McDougall would be easier in some situations.

I believe that Dr. Fuhrman has more valuable advice on a variety of subjects. I believe that the meal frequency that Dr. Fuhrman advocates, is very valuable. I believe that emphasizing a wide variety of veggies is very valuable, and emphasizing certain ones. I am certain that getting a blood test for vitamin D and taking a supplement, if deficient, is valuable, as I was seriously deficient in June (blood level of 16, normal 30 -55), in spite of carefully getting an hour of sunlight 7 days a week for 2 years, at noontime, wearing only trunks, if over 60F.

The take away is that we all are individuals, and sometimes we are surprised that our program is not adequate to achieve our health goals. We have to look to how we might improve.

Best regards, EngineerGuy

anon615 replied to engineerguy's response:
A healthful diet is valuable only if you are able to follow it. If Fuhrman is more healthful than McDougall but someone doesn't have time to cut up, prepare, cook vegetables and other foods then it isn't going to work. If someone doesn't enjoy starches then the McDougall diet won't work. If H's diet is the best in the world, I could never follow it because he eats the part of the animal that I throw away (the fat). and eating lots of fat has always caused me digestive problems. People get tired of Atkins or tired of portion controlled diets. I guess that is why there are so many books out there making lots of money for their authors.

Dolores

Spotlight: Member Stories

I had my first and second heart attack in April 2003. ELEVEN years have passed since the heart attack. ELEVEN years since diagnosis of acute heart dis...More

Helpful Tips

2 Salads a Day
Hi folks, Probably the most important tip there is: Eat 2 large salads a day. A salad has lots of greens and vegetables. Romaine ... More
Was this Helpful?
14 of 26 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.