Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
josvin84
jc3737 posted:
Are still around....... and healthy?

josvin84 responded:
Hi jc,

I am still around and I am healthy. I am really amazed that I have survived almost 10 years of heart problems without drugs or operations. Life is good and getting better all the time.

By the way I just turned 60.

Regards,
Josvin

jc3737 replied to josvin84's response:
Thats good to hear.Your diet must be working to have made it 10 yrs.(and doing so well) with heart disease.Whats your typical diet?Any medication?

josvin84 replied to jc3737's response:
Hi jc,

No medication in the last 5 years.I stopped taking statins, beta-blockers, baby aspirins and nitrospray. I did this over a period of two years, slowly reduced the portions and finally stopped.

I have put the information about my diet/lifestyle on a non commercial website for my family and friends. Here you can read about what I eat and do daily. Link is : http://www.club150s.com/my-daily-diet-and-exercise-summer-2011/
Diet consists of basic products listed here: Fresh vegetables, fruit and dried herbs and spices
  • Fruits: fresh, frozen, dried and canned
  • Beans: fresh, frozen, dried and canned
  • Herbs and spices: turmeric, ginger, paprika, garlic, corriander, cumin, etc.
  • Raw Nuts: unsalted or nuts and raisins mix
  • Fish: fresh, smoked and canned (Herring, mackerel, tuna and salmon)
  • Wholemeal bread
  • Chicken
  • Pure chocolate: >70% cacao for an occassional treat

• I hope this helps. If not then contact me.

Regards, Josvin

engineerguy replied to josvin84's response:
    Hi Josvin,

Congrats on your wonderful success. You R O C K !!

Great to see you around, too.

There is a lot of new science supporting our diets, every day. There is even a new science called epigenetics, which is showing several ways our diets are reducing or reversing DNA damage.

Best regards, EngineerGuy

anon615 replied to josvin84's response:
    So. I ate a little fish and even less chicken and many have told me that is why I had my heart attack. Also one walnut with each of my four meals. Do any of us know what we're doing. Getting discouraged.

Dolores

deadmanwalking57 replied to anon615's response:
    Dolores:

The few who really have a clue are EG, myself, Josvin, jc3737, and I'm not quite sure which others. And the doctors whose programs we advocate. ANY one else is suspect and laughable as to what they think they know.

There is some personal variability on the diet issues. When in doubt, more strict and cautious on fat intake, not less.

Stress is SUCH a major factor. I found Dean Ornish, M.D. had a book specifically on that topic, Love and Survival. I am reading that now.

For some lighter fare, I recommend books by Mary Roach. I've read "Bonk", and now reading "Stiff".

Playing lots of volleyball, 2 to 4 times a week, and rowing occsaionally.

DMW

engineerguy replied to deadmanwalking57's response:
    Hi DMW,

Thanks for the kind words. Back at u.

Hi Dolores,

If you like, you could describe your program. Please don't beat yourself up, or blame yourself as to why you had a heart attack. We only want to be helpful.

anon615 replied to engineerguy's response:
    I don't have a program. I eat fruit, vegetables, grains and starches and beans. No meat, cheese or other dairy or fats or eggs and no fat, even nuts. But I do use some flaxseeds.

Dolores

engineerguy replied to anon615's response:
    Hi Dolores,

Sounds great !

Food for thought - suggestions for your consideration:

The fastest regression of heart disease, is during weight loss. Are you lean enough? - Again, no need to answer.

Do you get enough sleep?

Do you exercise, both aerobic and resistance? You don't need bone crusher workouts, nor lenthy workouts. But a person does have to develop strength, and probably run 2 miles easily. It may take a while to develop this, which is fine. Some exercise daily. Exercise before meals, can help with blood sugar, as discussed in The End of Diabetes.

Best to you, Dolores. Don't get discouraged.

engineerguy replied to engineerguy's response:
    Hi Dolores,

Hey, interesting thing. Nathan Pritikin felt that people were especially susceptible to a heart attack, when they were very tired.

At one time, Nathan Pritikin's only "patient" who had had a heart attack, was low on sleep, late for a plane, and was running carrying a heavy suitcase. This was long before roller suitcases, as of today.

Just FYI.

josvin84 replied to anon615's response:
    Dolores,
    Nothing wrong with your diet. I had something very similar the first five years. Since then I have added raw nuts, seeds and plenty of green leaves. All combined together in a daily shot of green smoothie.

Another thing I have done from the start is to take vitamin supllements daily. It may be unnecessary but I felt I needed extra support since I was way down with heart problems.

Besides taking vitamins I slowly stopped all medication. I believe in the long run medication does more harm than good. Just read the list of reported side-effects. It is never a pretty story.

Wish you very good health.
    Josvin

anon615 replied to engineerguy's response:
    For some reason I only sleep three or four hours per night. I was doing lots of cardio and strength training but my hip replacement slowed me down considerably and am just getting back to the gym, I cannot use several of the machines because of hip precautions and after a while walking becomes painful, but riding an exercise bike seems to do the trick. In order to do any exercise of value I have to get into my car and drive a few miles. There are no sidewalks near wear I live and recently the weather has not been conducive to walking anyway. So I have to drive to the gym.

Since my heart attack I have been 100% compliant to eating only plants. I have also dropped the plavix dose to one half pill. I have not read good things about coming off plavix. Also read that aspirin demineralizes bones. Thus the broken hip?? But who knows. I went down pretty hard in a way that precluded taking the fall with hands extended.

dolores

Spotlight: Member Stories

55 year old male. Ex marathon runner and still an all around jock. I run, lift weights, yoga and box. I was a proud carnivore for 55 years. Few co...More

Helpful Tips

2 Salads a Day
    Hi folks, Probably the most important tip there is: Eat 2 large salads a day. A salad has lots of greens and vegetables. Romaine ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    14 of 26 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.