Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
The Myth of Antioxidants
engineerguy posted:
Hi folks,

The title of an article on page 62 of the February Scientific American, "The Myth of Antioxidants", grabbed my attention. But the article agreed with all that we advocate.

"The hallowed notion that oxidative damage causes aging and that vitamins might preserve our youth is now in doubt." On the top of page 65 "Epidemiological studies show that people who eat lots of fruits and vegetables, which are rich in vitamins and other antioxidants, tend to live longer and are less likely to develop cancer compared with those who do not."

The article then discusses several studies that show that antioxidant SUPPLEMENTS often are harmful, in randomized, double blind studies. Antioxidants from food, are beneficial.

But you know all this already, if you follow Dr. Fuhrman. To read more material on the benefits and dangers of supplements, you may read Dr. Fuhrman's explanation of what he puts in his multi-vitamin supplement (1). Dr. Fuhrman offers items on his website, if it is hard to find, or unavailable, elsewhere. I do not know of any multivitamin that has no vitamin A, vitamin E, beta-carotene, or folic acid, for example, except Dr. Fuhrman's. That's why I take it myself. But I offer the link for information sake only. Dr. Fuhrman's multi contains vitamin K2, for example. K2 is more expensive than K. Studies show that K2 is very effective are reducing hip fractures in the elderly, and K was less effective. I checked Centrum Silver, and it contains vitamin K, not K2. Centrum Silver also contains the harmful vitamins A, folic acid, E, etc. But, if you are living on Ensure and the SAD, maybe you are better off taking Centrum Silver, compared to nothing.

But, back to the Scientific American article, it provides some interesting information suggesting that the theory of aging, due to tissue damage from free radicals, might not be valid. This is interesting info.

The article also said that exercise promotes autophagy. That is wonderful!!! Autophagy was discussed in a Jan 2012 Scientific American article that I discussed in an earlier post (2). Search for autophagy (CTRL-F).

The science lags our nutritarian diet. That is, science is still uncovering wonderful new vistas of benefits created by a mostly whole plant based diet. For example, the new science of epigenetics has uncovered 3 ways that vegetables reduce problems from bad genes and DNA damage.

Best regards, EngineerGuy

(1) http://www.drfuhrman.com/shop/multi_details.aspx

(2) http://forums.webmd.com/3/heart-health-fuhrman-ornish/forum/302/1#1

deadmanwalking57 responded:
EG:

That article in Scientific American is atrocious. Who was the semi-scientist moron who selected it, and which ones approved it ?

There will be people who read nothing but the title, and go around spouting that anti-oxidants are not important. The title makes no suggestion it refers to supplements. Such a blanket title is NOT compelling to most people to read an article, especially in Scientific American.

Even in WebMD, your title selection is worrisome, since it suggests you, too believe, them a myth for health benefits.
Some people will read further, many will not.

Short clear cut statements are what most people learn from.

deadmanwalking57 replied to deadmanwalking57's response:
The article TITLE is atrocious.

Somehow WebMD chopped out parts of my reply.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I'm 33 years old and live in Chicago. I'm a Biology undergrad at Loyola and hope to go on to medical school or an MS/RD program. I follow a v...More

Helpful Tips

2 Salads a Day
Hi folks, Probably the most important tip there is: Eat 2 large salads a day. A salad has lots of greens and vegetables. Romaine ... More
Was this Helpful?
14 of 26 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.