Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
All well?
engineerguy posted:
Hi folks,

I'm still alive and well. Everyone else? Pretty quiet. Rest is good. Very good. Pretty quiet.

Have a great 4th. My wife and I will be going to a great fireworks, with symphony, etc, tonight (Saturday 6/29).

Best regards, EngineerGuy

josvin84 responded:
All is still well. Looking ahead.to summer holidays with family.

I had my vitamin b12 tested: it was around 280. I have now started on b12 supplement. I will check it again after 3 months or so.

Have a fine summer.

Josvin.

engineerguy replied to josvin84's response:
Hi Josvin,

Congratulations on taking a B12 supplement. A vegan diet is a valuable healthful option, but it does require this addition.

OK, for those reading, perhaps someone is frowning and saying that if someone is on a perfect diet, they need no supplements. If a diet requires B12 supplements, then that diet is not ideal. Sound logical.

Is that true? Let's consider.

Some people absorb iron poorly, and have anemia. Those people require iron supplements to treat their anemia. So, if we are on an ideal diet, should we all be eating meat to supply iron? No, often people with anemia require far more iron, in a supplement, than any diet could possibly provide. On the other hand, most people get plenty of iron even from a totally vegan diet. It appears that we are all individuals. Should we all take an iron supplement to avoid getting anemia? No, most people would have a very toxic iron overload if they took an iron supplement. Excess iron promotes heart disease, liver damage, and all sorts of problems. The monthly period is suspected of being an important part of why women have less heart disease than men, prior to women's menopause. Donating blood is a suspected healthful action for men, to help eliminate excess iron.

Excess iron is very toxic. Ever notice that we don't hear Geritol commercials anymore, to provide iron to older people? Ever notice that multivitamins no longer provide 18mg iron, like they did years ago. Today, multivitamins contain no iron, or much less than the 18mg of yesteryear.

Indeed, there are many deficiencies that some individuals have. For any specific deficiency, there are not many people who have it. But adding up all the possible deficiencies, there are probably a percentage of people who are not at optimal health, because they do not absorb something optimally or need more if it.

And if you add in all the genes that make people susceptible to heart disease, diabetes, Alzheimer's, various cancers, etc, etc, nearly all of us have some susceptibility to some issue.

I don't mean to make us paranoid. I do mean to advocate that we have to fight for our health, when we are surrounded by lots of addictive rich food. We have to work to eat healthful food, nearly all the time. And exercise. And get lots of sleep.

Supplements that most people need, I believe, are omega 3 oils (fish oil or algae oil), vitamin D (only a blood test will tell you for sure). A multi is a good idea. And, after being a near vegan for 7 years, I have found benefit with a gram of taurine daily. I see an improvement in my workouts, and I believe I see an improvement in my memory.

engineerguy replied to engineerguy's response:
oh, a note about taurine, if someone is saying that a vegan diet might be bad, if I have to take taurine.

Red Bull contains 1 gram of taurine. Most people who take Red Bull, eat lots of meat.

jc3737 replied to engineerguy's response:
Do you know of any data that supports taurine supplementation?Is it safe in the long term?

How many times have we seen a supplement proven to be harmful when taken in isolation and not a part of food.For example many vitamins and minerals or compounds such as lycopene are effective when taken in its original package(food) but not as a supplement.And sometimes we find out many decades later that a supplement can be harmful....vit A,iron,folate after being recommended and considered safe.

engineerguy replied to jc3737's response:
Hi jc,

HEY! Good questions. I guess it's just that it's protein, just like 50-100 grams of protein that we all get every day. Your questions are very good, however.

I started some google searches. Here's one of some interest.

http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-supplements/ingredientmono-1024-TAURINE.aspx?activeIngredientId=1024&activeIngredientName=TAURINE

Spotlight: Member Stories

I was diagnosed with diabetes in March of 2007. Ever since then I've been slowly losing weight, exercising and eating as healthy as I can. Thanks ...More

Helpful Tips

Easy Fluoride Treatments for your teeth
Hi folks, Background info: ============ My dentist prescribed some prescription grade fluoride toothpaste. For about $8, I got the ... More
Was this Helpful?
11 of 22 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.