Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
cataracts
jc3737 posted:
EG,Would you mind recounting the story about your development of cataracts from running outside without wrap around sunglasses.My son runs every day without sunglasses and I plan to forward the post to him.Post it on the debate forum so he will not see this post and know that Dad arranged it.Thanks.

engineerguy responded:
Hi jc,

With pleasure. Glad to help. I absolutely understand, about family members not allowing credibility.

Best regards, EngineerGuy

jc3737 replied to engineerguy's response:
Thanks,I e mailed it to him today.I just hope he is not too stubborn to listen to advice.

hanawaiman6358 replied to engineerguy's response:
Hi, I read your post on the diet debate site but for some reason couldn't log on there. I have made and drank green smoothies for about 10 years. Lots of kale. I grow my own year round. My Vita Mix is packed. I developed cataracts too, and I recently was diagnosed with dry macular degeneration--dang. The cataracts are getting worse. They probably developed form surfing all day as a kid and working outside on a sugar cane plantation until I was in my mid forties. I have never worn any sunglasses. My Dr said it is too late, but I will get some soon, can't hurt. Thank you for the info. I enjoy your posts. BTW, my Vita Mix 5000 just burned out after 10 years and the 6200 is a great upgrade.

jc3737 replied to hanawaiman6358's response:
Do you wear prescription glasses?...or contacts?

engineerguy replied to jc3737's response:
Hi Hanawaiman,

Sorry to hear of the macular degeneration and cataracts. A portion of our health is just luck, good and bad. Also heredity.

I got my cataracts before I ate smoothies, and my cataracts reversed, while eating smoothies, so I don't think smoothies contributed at all to creating the cataracts. My cataracts were probably mild. When I said the cataracts are gone, the doctor said the cataracts are still there (5 years later, now), but it is a yellowish coloration, not cloudy. 5 years ago, the cataracts were cloudy, since I was seeing a halo around headlights of oncoming cars. (It developed gradually, so I did not really notice it.)

Sunlight could have contributed to macular degeneration, as was mentioned in the link.

On the bright side (bad choice of words?), the Dr. Rex Hawkins, an opthalmologist, in his book "Eat Right Electrolyte", shows pictures of the retina of a person who reversed macular degeneration, with strict low sodium Pritikin style diet, and regained 20/20 vision. Diabetic retinopathy patients were also able to reverse their conditions, for about half of the diabetics with retinopathy.

I followed the Pritikin diet for 30 years, but I improved my results with Dr. Fuhrman's diet. My message is that you can expect to arrest any further development, and, with diligent application of the Fuhrman program, there is great hope that you can reverse the macular degeneration, in a couple years.

Let me know your thoughts.

Oh, thanks for saying that you enjoy my posts. That makes my day !! Great to have you around !

jc3737 replied to engineerguy's response:
aAyone know anything about this?

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12001824?dopt=Abstract

engineerguy replied to jc3737's response:
Hi jc,

Thanks for the post. Googling N-acetylcarnosine, there are drops that have been available since 2002. The article you posted was from 2006. It's a supplement, so there is no drug patent on it. So, there is much less advertising on it, either.

Good question. Does anyone know about this? jc's link suggests that it's pretty good.

Spotlight: Member Stories

55 year old male. Ex marathon runner and still an all around jock. I run, lift weights, yoga and box. I was a proud carnivore for 55 years. Few co...More

Helpful Tips

Easy Fluoride Treatments for your teeth
Hi folks, Background info: ============ My dentist prescribed some prescription grade fluoride toothpaste. For about $8, I got the ... More
Was this Helpful?
11 of 22 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.