Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
best diet for energy and endurance
deadmanwalking57 posted:
Much as this topic is subject to individuals personal preferences and debate, I came across a study in a well regarded Exercise Physiology text book by McArdle.

For the study about 30 well trained athletes of all about the same strength and endurance were recruited for a long term diet experiment.

Each third each of the group maintained one of three diets for 7 weeks:
high fat, balanced, and 80% carbs. At the end of the 7 weeks, all maintaining their regular exercise regimen, they were tasked to perform an exercise to exhaustion test. The athletes on the high fat diet on average lasted 57 minutes. The athletes on the balanced diet on average lasted almost double, about 110 minutes. The athletes on the high carb diet on average lasted over three hours.

After the test, the two non high carb diet groups went on the high carb diet for one week, and repeated the test to exhaustion. Their performance improved about 10% across the board. So carb loading provides a minor benefit. To really give yourself an edge, live on a high carb diet, and be able to train and race with the best possible endurance every day.

I'm not at home, but if someone insists, I will post the page in McArdle, and the footnote links of the research studies.

I myself have a high carb diet. It does seem to allow me to play volleyball longer than almost anyone else in the weekend group I play with. As much as 6 or 7 hours, staying fresh and quick all day.

McArdle also identifies the right balance of refresher drink to use during such exercise. It is best about 5%-8% carbs, with good electrolytes. Commercial drinks are all very weak in both. One drink I have been using stands out. A V8 fruit juice blend, Blueberry / Pomegranate, it has many times the electrolytes of Gatorade. Its carb percentage is about double recommended, so just drink it 50/50 with water, and it is near the perfect energy drink.

Live long and prosper,

DMW

Take the Poll

Your diet ?
  • 80,arbs
  • 60,arbs
  • 50,arbs
  • 35,arbs
  • 20 r less Carbs
vote
View Poll Results

deadmanwalking57 responded:
In the poll, that is supposed to be a % sign and the word "Carbs"

Spotlight: Member Stories

Hi folks, I've lived in beautiful Salt Lake City for the last 6 years (as of 2010). I had a mild 30's crisis, and adopted the Pritikin Diet,...More

Helpful Tips

Easy Fluoride Treatments for your teeth
Hi folks, Background info: ============ My dentist prescribed some prescription grade fluoride toothpaste. For about $8, I got the ... More
Was this Helpful?
11 of 22 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.