Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Vinegar: I was wrong
engineerguy posted:
Hi folks

Vinegar is a very healthy food. Yes, we do get calories from it, and it actually contributes to an alkaline metabolism, even though it is very much an acid. Vinegar usually contains 5% acetic acid.

So what's the problem?

Vinegar is very healthy as an ingredient in a recipe. I have many times recommended just straight vinegar as a salad dressing. That is a problem, because the high acidity will likely attack tooth enamel, or old fillings, and cause cavities. I think I've had several cavities from vinegar. So, use vinegar as an ingredient in recipes, but avoid straight vinegar. I don't know how much oil protects the enamel, in vinegar and oil dressing. I'm not going to chance it. myself. Of course, we do not advocate oil as a healthy food anyway.

Check the tips for info about

1) do not rinse after brushing, for a fluoride treatment every time you brush

2) use the little Christmas tree brushes, in addition to brushing and flossing.

Best regards, EngineerGuy

jc3737 responded:
EG,Have you ever head that too much vinegar can deplete potassium over time?I came accross that before but I don't think it was a study just someone in a post.It provides stomach acid which can help with digestion short term but can be bad if used long term.Thats the theory I heard.Seems the body needs to produce its own acid and not rely on artificial help.

I think you are corrrect...the bottom line is to restrict its use.

engineerguy replied to jc3737's response:
Hi jc,

No, I hadn't heard that, about the potassium. Like you say, vinegar is healthy in moderation, and diluted. You can google lots and lots of stuff about vinegar, some of it quite impressive.

Best regards, EngineerGu

Spotlight: Member Stories

Hi folks, I've lived in beautiful Salt Lake City for the last 6 years (as of 2010). I had a mild 30's crisis, and adopted the Pritikin Diet,...More

Helpful Tips

Killer Athlete's Foot Cure
If you have athlete's foot, gently wash the affected area. I usually got it between my toes. Use a hair dryer on warm, to dry the foot for ... More
Was this Helpful?
12 of 21 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.