Skip to content

Announcements

Exciting News for WebMD Members!

We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

What Do You Need to Do?

The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

Vinegar: I was wrong
    engineerguy posted:
    Hi folks

Vinegar is a very healthy food. Yes, we do get calories from it, and it actually contributes to an alkaline metabolism, even though it is very much an acid. Vinegar usually contains 5% acetic acid.

So what's the problem?

Vinegar is very healthy as an ingredient in a recipe. I have many times recommended just straight vinegar as a salad dressing. That is a problem, because the high acidity will likely attack tooth enamel, or old fillings, and cause cavities. I think I've had several cavities from vinegar. So, use vinegar as an ingredient in recipes, but avoid straight vinegar. I don't know how much oil protects the enamel, in vinegar and oil dressing. I'm not going to chance it. myself. Of course, we do not advocate oil as a healthy food anyway.

Check the tips for info about

1) do not rinse after brushing, for a fluoride treatment every time you brush

2) use the little Christmas tree brushes, in addition to brushing and flossing.

Best regards, EngineerGuy

jc3737 responded:
    EG,Have you ever head that too much vinegar can deplete potassium over time?I came accross that before but I don't think it was a study just someone in a post.It provides stomach acid which can help with digestion short term but can be bad if used long term.Thats the theory I heard.Seems the body needs to produce its own acid and not rely on artificial help.

I think you are corrrect...the bottom line is to restrict its use.

engineerguy replied to jc3737's response:
    Hi jc,

No, I hadn't heard that, about the potassium. Like you say, vinegar is healthy in moderation, and diluted. You can google lots and lots of stuff about vinegar, some of it quite impressive.

Best regards, EngineerGu

Spotlight: Member Stories

I'm 33 years old and live in Chicago. I'm a Biology undergrad at Loyola and hope to go on to medical school or an MS/RD program. I follow a v...More

Helpful Tips

Easy Fluoride Treatments for your teeth
    Hi folks, Background info: ============ My dentist prescribed some prescription grade fluoride toothpaste. For about $8, I got the ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    11 of 22 found this helpful

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.