Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Waiting for true hunger...again
twinb63 posted:
After having 'fallen off the wagon' into the piles of horse droppings, I'm in the shower & eating clean once again. It's been a week & 4 lbs. are gone. My stomach feels empty at times & that's when I eat. I remember what Fuhrman's true hunger feels like & my body is not yet there. But man, what good feelings I'm getting physicallly & mentally.

engineerguy responded:
Hi Twin,

Congrats !! Yes, it's true. We enjoy our veggie diet and find it wonderful and delicious.

So, I just came back from vacation, traveling to see my family. I say we aren't driven to this diet because we can't stand the taste of pizza and French fries and doughnuts. We are driven to this diet because we cannot stand the thought of sacrificing our health for the addictive pleasures of pizza, French fries and doughnuts. A thousand times, I have eaten these gooey delights, felt awful, and said I'll never eat again. But how could I have known? It just looked so good.

But we get back on the diet, and almost by magic, we feel better and stronger again.

For those just starting, it takes the body and mind a week or two to adjust to this new lifestyle. This is hard work for most people. For me, starting the diet was one of the hardest things I ever did. I lived on sugar, prior to this diet. I remember looking in the refrigerator, and feeling hungry right now, and there is nothing in the fridge for me to eat. I didn't know what to do or eat!

Twin, Marylynn and others, did you find it difficult to start the diet? Some people say it was easy.

Twin, I didn't feel true hunger until I fasted a day, after a binge. For those reading, true hunger is a throat feeling, similar to thirst. It is not uncomfortable. And food tastes really great, when you do eat. Hunger on the SAD diet, is stomach growling, light headedness, headache, and is uncomfortable. Like everyone, I thought that hunger during fasting, must be unimaginably unbearable.

So, folks, have you felt true hunger? (I still feel slight light headedness and stomach growling, but not uncomfortably so. But I feel true hunger, also.)

Best regards, EngineerGuy

josvin84 replied to engineerguy's response:
It is very irritating when after typing in a reply you get a message that the system is down right now and you should try again later.

Hope it all goes well this time!!!!!

"Was it difficult to start?" Well the answer is no. As soon as I started I told everyone around me: family, friends and colleagues at work what I allowed myself on my diet.

I also planned all my meals one or two days ahead so there was always the right food in house and at work.

When I went to friends I called ahead and told them about the diet I was on. Going out was the same, check the menu online and call the restaurant to see if they could adjust the dishes. If not then we just selected another restaurant.

Now even after ten years of being on this diet my family and friends still do their best to have the right food for me.

The secret is try not to do it alone. Help from family and friends is essential. Rest is easy.

Josvin

engineerguy replied to josvin84's response:
Hi Josvin,

Thx very much for your answer. I have to strive to do better, when traveling or in social occasions.

twinb63 responded:
Hi everyone. It IS hard for me to start eating healthy again. Salty & sweet snacks are a hard addiction to stop; I find it similar to stopping drinking alcohol, especially when it's become a daily habit. The thing I've started doing is shopping in unfamiliar food stores so that I don't veer into the center aisles for chips & donuts, & going early before the samples of junk foods are available.

Once I've broken the habit & my taste buds begin changing away from the salt/sugar cravings, then it becomes progressively easier. But those first few days are a son of a gun.

engineerguy replied to twinb63's response:
Hi Twinb63,

Best of luck with it. It's not easy. Good heavens, if I have one chip, I'm sunk. ^o^

I am very lucky that my wife is on the program also.

Traveling, I try to break the diet in moderation, and I typically fail miserably. I eat far more calories than usual, and 2 hours later I'm FAMISHED !! SAD food has addictive qualities.

If it is helpful, I freeze Tupperware portions of 4 items ahead of time. 1 cup of Beans and lentils (with garlic and Italian spices). 1 or 2 cups of brown rice and quinoa. 2 cups of steamed greens and veggies. And 2 cups of green smoothie (kale, cabbage, romaine, flaxseed, pomegranate, sesame seeds, banana, blueberries, raisins, tofu. I make up 1 week at a time of the green smoothie, and 2 weeks at a time of the 3 others (beans, quinoa n rice, steamed veggies). So, these things are always ready.

As I get older (I'm 66), I realize that I cannot binge without consequence, like I used to be able to. It's serious. That does help me resist some things. I don't want to say that I'm perfect. But it helps me to drive from my mind the thought that it's OK to cheat right now.

People with health problems, where they are working to recover good health, do best if they simply do not cheat. Planning to have healthy food available, is a helpful plan.

When you do stumble, do not deride yourself. Instead, congratulate yourself for what you have accomplished. And you had the best of both worlds. You enjoyed the cheat, and also you felt awful, reminding you of why we are doing this in the first place.

twinb63 replied to engineerguy's response:
Excellent points you make. Thanks Stacey.

Spotlight: Member Stories

Hi folks, I've lived in beautiful Salt Lake City for the last 6 years (as of 2010). I had a mild 30's crisis, and adopted the Pritikin Diet,...More

Helpful Tips

Easy Fluoride Treatments for your teeth
Hi folks, Background info: ============ My dentist prescribed some prescription grade fluoride toothpaste. For about $8, I got the ... More
Was this Helpful?
11 of 22 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.