Skip to content
Flu shot prevents heart attacks
engineerguy posted:
Hi folks,

A new study in JAMA (primary author Jacob Udell) shows that the flu vaccine reduces heart attacks, strokes and other serious atherothrombotic events. Overall, the flu shot reduced serious cardiac events by 36%, from 4.7% to 2.9% (average follow-up 7.9 months). 4.7% of the non-vaccinated folks had a cardiac event. That's a lot!

The higher risk the patient, the stronger the effect. 6735 persons with cardiac risk factors were in the meta-analysis (avg age 67). For those with a cardiac event within a year prior to the study, the flu shot reduced severe cardiac events by 56%. WoW. For those without a cardiac event in the prior year, cardiac events were reduced 5% (still not bad, for a flu shot).

http://jama.jamanetwork.com/article.aspx?articleid=1758749

Best regards, EngineerGuy (Stacy)

josvin84 responded:
Is it not the time of year when people are invited to have thier flu shots? Folks it may or may not work against the flu but it will prevent heart attacks. The article does not talk about casual effect.

I had one flu shot 10 years ago and I felt ill for almost four days. No more flu shots for me. I will stick to diet and lifestyle.

Josvin

Spotlight: Member Stories

Hi folks, I've lived in beautiful Salt Lake City for the last 6 years (as of 2010). I had a mild 30's crisis, and adopted the Pritikin Diet,...More

Helpful Tips

Killer Athlete's Foot Cure
If you have athlete's foot, gently wash the affected area. I usually got it between my toes. Use a hair dryer on warm, to dry the foot for ... More
Was this Helpful?
12 of 21 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.