Skip to content
Interesting article on placebos
max9821 responded:
For myself, I cannot imagine a doctor giving me a pill without my asking all kinds of questions about efficacy and side effects and looking it up in the physicians desk reference. Once I requested a different antibiotic because the pdr said it should not be given to diabetics. The doctor prescribed another but commented that no one ever complained before. Of course they didn't. I know people who, when asked what med they are on will say, a pink pill. They don't care.

However, when one son was very young he got an earache at night hours before I could run him to the doctor. He cried for a band aid for his ear but I foolishly told him the band aid wouldn't work. The doctor said I should have put a band aid on his ear. I learned.

Another daughter when in the fourth grade insisted her eyes were bad and she couldn't see the black board. The teacher sat her in the front of the class. When I had her eyes examined the doctor said she had perfect vision. I quietly asked him to prescribe plain glass which he did. The optician started to tell me about the prescription having no correction and I told him I knew but to put plain glass in the frames which my daughter happily picked out. Amazingly she said things were a lot better and she didn't have to sit in the front of the room anymore. I advised the teacher of what was going on. Fortunately I could afford the perfectly useless eyewear. Eventually she stopped wearing the glasses claiming her eyes were better.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I'm 33 years old and live in Chicago. I'm a Biology undergrad at Loyola and hope to go on to medical school or an MS/RD program. I follow a v...More

Helpful Tips

Easy Fluoride Treatments for your teeth
Hi folks, Background info: ============ My dentist prescribed some prescription grade fluoride toothpaste. For about $8, I got the ... More
Was this Helpful?
11 of 22 found this helpful