Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Interesting article on placebos

max9821 responded:
For myself, I cannot imagine a doctor giving me a pill without my asking all kinds of questions about efficacy and side effects and looking it up in the physicians desk reference. Once I requested a different antibiotic because the pdr said it should not be given to diabetics. The doctor prescribed another but commented that no one ever complained before. Of course they didn't. I know people who, when asked what med they are on will say, a pink pill. They don't care.

However, when one son was very young he got an earache at night hours before I could run him to the doctor. He cried for a band aid for his ear but I foolishly told him the band aid wouldn't work. The doctor said I should have put a band aid on his ear. I learned.

Another daughter when in the fourth grade insisted her eyes were bad and she couldn't see the black board. The teacher sat her in the front of the class. When I had her eyes examined the doctor said she had perfect vision. I quietly asked him to prescribe plain glass which he did. The optician started to tell me about the prescription having no correction and I told him I knew but to put plain glass in the frames which my daughter happily picked out. Amazingly she said things were a lot better and she didn't have to sit in the front of the room anymore. I advised the teacher of what was going on. Fortunately I could afford the perfectly useless eyewear. Eventually she stopped wearing the glasses claiming her eyes were better.

dolores

Spotlight: Member Stories

Hi folks, I've lived in beautiful Salt Lake City for the last 6 years (as of 2010). I had a mild 30's crisis, and adopted the Pritikin Diet,...More

Helpful Tips

Killer Athlete's Foot Cure
If you have athlete's foot, gently wash the affected area. I usually got it between my toes. Use a hair dryer on warm, to dry the foot for ... More
Was this Helpful?
12 of 21 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.