Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
high nutrient diet

josvin84 responded:
Researcher suggest that VERY-LOW nutrient diet may lenghten aging through increased rates of cellular recycling and repair.

The researchers have not tested or compared this to a high nutrient diet in anyway.

Telomere experts say that the cells can reproduce a limited number of times before the telomere becomes too short, I would think that on a low-nutrient diet with increased rates of cells recycling that the life would be shorter!!!!!

Josvin

jc3737 replied to josvin84's response:
And yet here is some data that suggests otherwise.This could explain why the cultures in Asia that basically only eat rice (or 98% rice) live so long.Few nutrients and only starch....maybe Dr McDougall was right????

engineerguy replied to jc3737's response:
Hi jc,

Thanks for an interesting post to stimulate discussion. Sometimes the pot needs to be stirred !!

The article made no clear explanation as to what is meant by a low nutrient versus a low calorie diet.

If avoiding nutrients had health benefits, the SAD would be wonderful.

Animal experiments have shown that low calorie diets, to be successful for life extension, have to avoid malnutrition.

Amazingly, there are over 500 articles in the medical literature on the benefits of fasting. This is calorie and nutrient reduction or elimination. Dr. Fuhrman's first book was "Fasting and Eating For Health". That book gave me a crick in my jaw. That's because my mouth hung open in amazement, the whole time I was reading it. I believe the insight of the benefits of (water) fasting, is one reason Dr. Fuhrman has made valuable contributions to the evolution of the healthy diet we follow.

We really have very little information in the referenced item, except that someone speculates that... Well, someone speculates anything you can imagine. I don't mean to discount the referenced item out of hand, but it really offers little information, and it appears to contradict a lot of really beneficial health results. Of course, often headlines are meant to be more shocking and eye-catching, than informative.

There are hundreds of studies showing the benefits of phytochemicals and antioxidants from plant foods. Even some double blind randomized studies exist, showing benefits which no drug can begin to match. But if someone speculates that this all does not matter, perhaps we'd better give this all up.

And don't forget Dr. Ornish' paper (1), showing that patients on his diet, after 3 months, increased telomerase activity. This was in collaboration with Nobel Prize winner Dr. Elizabeth Blackburn, who won the Nobel Prize for work with telomeres and the discovery of telomerase, an enzyme which helps repair telomeres.

Best regards, EngineerGuy (Stacy)

(1) www.pubmed.com/18799354

jc3737 replied to engineerguy's response:
Hi EG,I guess it boils down to this:Is a diet with no animal products and mostly starches like rice or potatoes just as healthy or healthier than one that features lots of green vegetables and a wide variety of other vegetables but less starch.Who is closer to right Dr McDougall or Dr Fuhrman?

There is evidence on both sides but the best evidence for Dr McDougall is that the traditional cultures feature diets that are largely starch.

I don't know who is right but there are some important diferences in diets of the two Doctors.Another is the amount of fat they allow....Dr Essee,Dr Campbell,Dr Mc all say low fat is a part of the equation while Dr Furhman says that there is no evidence to show that a low fat diet is any healthier and claims benefits come from the nutrient value of the plant foods and not the low fat.I would like to know what part of the equation fat plays but I don't see any research being done to find out.

engineerguy replied to jc3737's response:
Hi jc,

Always interesting.

Dr. Fuhrman agrees with the others on the negative effects of vegetable oils, and animal fats. Dr. Fuhrman says there is no data for harmful affects from fat from nuts, seeds, avocados, etc.

Here's something interesting.

Caloric Restriction vs. Animal Protein Restriction

Caloric Restriction vs. Animal Protein RestrictionThe lifespan extension associated with dietary restriction may be due less to a reduction in calories, and more to a reduction in animal protein (particularly the amino acid leucine, which may accelerate aging via the enzyme TOR).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=dwJASNFy9XQ

Best regards, EngineerGuy (Stacy)

Spotlight: Member Stories

I have severe atherosclerosis with ectasiac (long, stretched out) sections, small aneurysms in primary cardiac arteries. I am blessed to also have ...More

Helpful Tips

2 Salads a Day
Hi folks, Probably the most important tip there is: Eat 2 large salads a day. A salad has lots of greens and vegetables. Romaine ... More
Was this Helpful?
14 of 26 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.