Skip to content
New Research - Veggies - People live longer
engineerguy posted:
Hi folks,

http://www.pritikin.com/real-superfoods-diet?ibp-adgroup=newsletter

New research

Just a few days ago, another major study(1) was published, a 12-year review, that once again validated the benefits of a daily menu full of fruits and veggies.

Scientists from University College London found that a fruit-and-vegetable-rich diet was associated with a significant reduction in the risk of death from heart disease and cancer.

In fact, the study found that the more vegetables and fruits we eat, the lower our risk of death from any cause and at any age.

Seven servings of fruits and vegetables daily

The study looked at the diets and health outcomes of 65,226 people representative of the British population from 2001 to 2013. The results showed that for people who ate seven or more servings of fruits and vegetables a day, their mortality rate was reduced by 42% compared to people eating less than one serving a day.

"…the effect is staggering."

Even Dr. Oyinlola Oyebode, the study's lead investigator, was surprised by the results, and stated in a university press release: "We all know that eating fruit and vegetables is healthy, but the size of the effect is staggering."

Best regards, EngineerGuy (Stacy)

(1) http://jech.bmj.com/content/early/2014/03/03/jech-2013-203500

J Epidemiol Community Health doi:10.1136/jech-2013-203500

jc3737 responded:
Excellent article.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I'm 33 years old and live in Chicago. I'm a Biology undergrad at Loyola and hope to go on to medical school or an MS/RD program. I follow a v...More

Helpful Tips

Easy Fluoride Treatments for your teeth
Hi folks, Background info: ============ My dentist prescribed some prescription grade fluoride toothpaste. For about $8, I got the ... More
Was this Helpful?
11 of 22 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.