Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Goitrogens
An_257404 posted:
I'm concerned about the goitrogens in kale/broccoli. I do have hypothyroidism but have been drinking green smoothies with both veggies since recovery from cancer surgery 6 months ago. I feel great, have lots of energy, have lost 20 lbs, etc., but recently my hair has begun to thin. I don't want to give up my smoothies but don't want to lose the rest of my hair either. Is there any supplement that can negate the effects of the goitrogens?

jc3737 responded:
Maybe 150mcg of a potassium iodide supplement can help.

engineerguy replied to jc3737's response:
Hi An_257404,

Congratulations on your healthy lifestyle, and recovery. There are worlds of the newest research suggesting that you are doing wonderful things to your cancer fighting immune system, epigenetics, upregulating good genes, downregulating bad genes, reducing methylation DNA damage, lengthening DNA telomers, and improving health.

Glad to see you here. Feel free to come often.

jc's suggestion of 150micrograms of iodine, is excellent. One source said that the cruciferous veggies are only goitrogenic if the person is also borderline or low in iodine. For us in the USA, salt became iodized in the 1920s due to people getting goiters in the "goiter belt" around the great lakes and pacific northwest. Also, iodine deficiency in pregnant women, can cause mental retardation in infants called Iodine Deficiency Disorder (IDD). So tragic. So, if we are limiting our salt intake to that naturally present in veggies, etc, which I certainly do, then we should take an iodine supplement. Note, of course, that iodized salt is also a supplement. Also note that sea salt is also deficient in iodine, which came as a surprise to me. Kelp would be a natural source of iodine, but it is so high in iodine that it is easy to get too much iodine from kelp. Too much iodine is also toxic.

I checked around for causes of hair loss. Dr Mullin, on the Dr. Fuhrman website said: "The hair loss can be related to several things: nutrient deficiencies (such as iron, omega 3 fats, vitamin D and protein), hormonal imbalance and stress."

Never take iron supplements, unless you have been diagnosed with low iron or anemia. Most people have plenty of iron, and excess iron is highly toxic. People with low iron do need iron supplements, usually far more than can be obtained from diet.

Most of the doctors we follow recommend omega 3 supplements. In principle we can make omega-3 fats from ALA from plants, but we all vary greatly in our ability to convert ALA to omega-3 fats. I take a fish oil supplement. I take 1 capsule daily, but you can take 3 capsules daily for two or 3 months, to build up. Especially as we age, our need for omega-3 increases.

Dr. Mullin also said vitamin D deficiency can be an issue. For myself, sunlight does not promote my body to make vitamin D. I was getting an hour of sun daily at noon, for 2 years, and taking 200 IU in a multivitamin. I was tested the first time for vitamin D, in June. I was severely deficient. Now I take 3,000 IU of Vitamin D3, I have a blood level of about 40, which is fine. So, get a blood test for vitamin D. You can take 2,000 IU of D3 if you do not wish to have a blood test, but the blood test is the most accurate way. If changing a vitamin D supplement level, allow 3 months for the blood level to equilibrate, before having a blood test.

Overall, I recommend the Dr. Fuhrman supplements. Read the Details(1). Some typical multivitamin ingredients are harmful, such as folic acid, beta-carotene, vitamin A, E. For example, one study was halted when the physician researchers discovered the death rate from lung cancer was 28 percent higher among participants who had taken high amounts of beta-carotene and vitamin A, compared to placebo. Of course, Dr. Fuhrman's supplements contain iodine.

For the green smoothie, consider throwing in a tablespoon of flaxseed. This has anti-cancer properties. (2)
I also throw in a tablespoon or two of unhulled sesame seeds. These have lots of calcium and many nutrients.

You can use a variety of cruciferous veggies, rotating to include green or red cabbage, cauliflower, etc. I also rotate in parsley, cilantro, carrots, etc etc.

Best regards, EngineerGuy (Stacy)

(1) http://www.drfuhrman.com/shop/multi_details.aspx
(2) http://www.diseaseproof.com/archives/breast-cancer-fighting-breast-cancer-with-flaxseeds.html
and
http://nutritionfacts.org/video/flaxseeds-breast-cancer-survival-clinical-evidence/

engineerguy replied to engineerguy's response:
and oh, yes. Try some tofu in the green smoothies. Tofu contains soybeans, of course, which are a high protein source. Soybeans have recently been shown to be just as balance protein as animal protein. I think I feel a difference in my workouts, with some tofu in my green smoothies. Of course, I didn't do a randomized controlled study.

yours, EngineerGuy (Stacy)

Spotlight: Member Stories

I'm 33 years old and live in Chicago. I'm a Biology undergrad at Loyola and hope to go on to medical school or an MS/RD program. I follow a v...More

Helpful Tips

2 Salads a Day
Hi folks, Probably the most important tip there is: Eat 2 large salads a day. A salad has lots of greens and vegetables. Romaine ... More
Was this Helpful?
14 of 26 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.