Skip to content
Goitrogens
An_257404 posted:
I'm concerned about the goitrogens in kale/broccoli. I do have hypothyroidism but have been drinking green smoothies with both veggies since recovery from cancer surgery 6 months ago. I feel great, have lots of energy, have lost 20 lbs, etc., but recently my hair has begun to thin. I don't want to give up my smoothies but don't want to lose the rest of my hair either. Is there any supplement that can negate the effects of the goitrogens?

twinb63 responded:
You think the kale/broccoli smoothies are causing hair loss? How would that happen? My hair is thinning too so it's not an academic question (said the vain man).

jmabers replied to twinb63's response:
It's the only thing I can think of that might be causing it. The hypothyroidism does affect hair, but it also affects your weight. I just can't see how I could lose weight, but still lose my hair. Seems if the goitrogens were affecting the thyroid I might be losing my hair but should be GAINING weight. I'm really confused and concerned about the whole concept.

josvin84 responded:
I have been taking smoothies with kale and spinach for the last 10 years. My hair was thinning before that time but it has now been stable for many years.

jmabers replied to josvin84's response:
But do you have hypothyroidism and do you take Synthyroid for the condition?

Spotlight: Member Stories

I have severe atherosclerosis with ectasiac (long, stretched out) sections, small aneurysms in primary cardiac arteries. I am blessed to also have ...More

Helpful Tips

Easy Fluoride Treatments for your teeth
Hi folks, Background info: ============ My dentist prescribed some prescription grade fluoride toothpaste. For about $8, I got the ... More
Was this Helpful?
11 of 22 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.