Skip to content

Announcements

Newly diagnosed? See our Hepatitis Health Center to learn more about it.

Includes Expert Content
Hep C Genotype 3a, 2nd time around.....
rainbowridergal posted:
Hi, I am new to the site and wanted any advice anyone can give me. I did my 1st treatment for 24 weeks, the pegasys and copegasys, I was 0 at the end of treatment and then 3 months later when they did my bloodwork My vl was over 6 million, my liver biopsy shows stage 2 and I had been going to an Infectious Disease Unit but they had my pcp refer me to a Liver Transplant Hospital.

I am NOT eligible for the new drugs so I will be back on the first ones but at a higher dosage and for 48 weeks. I am on an antidepressant and the first treatment was a nightmare, I still have low platelets and my last day of the first treatment was the end of August 2011. I also had to have blood transfusions and numerous procit and neupogen shots. I still have 2 procrit injections left in my fridge. This may sound vain but I had thick very long natural curly red hair and most of it was gone so now it is very short but coming back in. I have a vitamin d deficiency and have broken 3 ribs in the last year.

Now can anyone tell me if the 2nd time around is worse than the 1st??

I really appreciate all your advice, opinions, help, anything. Thanks a lot for taking time to answer....

Melissa Palmer, MD responded:
There will be many new drugs that work for genotype 3, and are an all oral regimen hopefully FDA approved by the end of 2014, which will require 12-24 weeks of therapy.
There are also many clinical trials of these drugs ongoing.

Helpful Tips

Coffee and the LiverExpert
Did you know that drinking coffee is healthy for the liver! Studies show that a people who drank a few cups a day were less likely to scar ... More
Was this Helpful?
53 of 75 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.