Skip to content

Announcements

Newly diagnosed? See our Hepatitis Health Center to learn more about it.

Includes Expert Content
Unusual Hep B Results
MollyBanks posted:
Hello, I was recently told I am HBs AG reactive. My other results showed that I am HBs AB positive and HBc AB (total) negative. I had the Hep B vaccine as a child and never had any symptoms of Hep B (blood test was done for physical). My Mother has never specifically been tested but gives blood frequently and never was told anything strange so I don't believe I could have it from her. My husband's tests came back HBs AG negative. My AST levels were 22 and my ALT levels were less than 20. Unfortunately I still have another week until the retests come back. Can anyone shed any light on these unusual results?

Melissa Palmer, MD responded:
Most likely the hepatitis B s Ag positivity is an error. But I do not understand why you were tested for this in the first place.

MollyBanks replied to Melissa Palmer, MD's response:
Thank you very much for your reply, this has been quite stressful. I was tested due to my husband and I adopting and part of our physical was a hepatitis panel.

Helpful Tips

Sex and HCVExpert
Since this is understandably such a frequent question, I am leaving up this information. Sexual contact, whether it is genital, oral, or ... More
Was this Helpful?
53 of 61 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.