Skip to content

Announcements

Newly diagnosed? See our Hepatitis Health Center to learn more about it.

Includes Expert Content
Unusual Hep B Results
MollyBanks posted:
Hello, I was recently told I am HBs AG reactive. My other results showed that I am HBs AB positive and HBc AB (total) negative. I had the Hep B vaccine as a child and never had any symptoms of Hep B (blood test was done for physical). My Mother has never specifically been tested but gives blood frequently and never was told anything strange so I don't believe I could have it from her. My husband's tests came back HBs AG negative. My AST levels were 22 and my ALT levels were less than 20. Unfortunately I still have another week until the retests come back. Can anyone shed any light on these unusual results?

Melissa Palmer, MD responded:
Most likely the hepatitis B s Ag positivity is an error. But I do not understand why you were tested for this in the first place.

MollyBanks replied to Melissa Palmer, MD's response:
Thank you very much for your reply, this has been quite stressful. I was tested due to my husband and I adopting and part of our physical was a hepatitis panel.

Helpful Tips

New treatments for hepatitis CExpert
I'll be appearing on Sirius Radio, channel 114 (on XM, channel 119) on Monday April 14, from 9-9:30 A.M. discussing the new protease ... More
Was this Helpful?
4 of 8 found this helpful