Skip to content

Announcements

Newly diagnosed? See our Hepatitis Health Center to learn more about it.

Includes Expert Content
Worried about my baby :(
doxiedog1 posted:
I'll try and keep this short, my poor little baby girl rolled onto the floor and hit her mouth on her toy, cutting her gum and displacing her little tooth, at her emergency room visit, she was sedated and while the doctor was trying to put the tooth back into place the nurse had to help hold her lip back and she did this without any gloves!!! It happened so fast and I was so upset that I didn't say hey get Your hands out of her mouth! I feel like I failed my baby and that she could have been exposed to HCV or HiV from this. The nurse said she washes her hand before and after every patient which I do believe but I didn't see her do it and she was touching her pen and monitoring equipment just prior to putting her fingers in my baby's mouth if hcv or HIV virus was on any of those surfaces there is a chance my daughter could get it since she had a fresh cut in her mouth right? I know this is unlikely and her pediatrician says not to,worry about this but I can't stop. What do you think dr Palmer? Your response would be so appreciated I am just so worried.

Melissa Palmer, MD responded:
The nurse would have to have active blood on her hands that would go directly into the open cut of your child. This is an unlikely event, but if you are still concerned you should request a HCVRNA level on your child 2 weeks after the incident to put you mind totally at ease.

doxiedog1 replied to Melissa Palmer, MD's response:
I don't think she did, as soon as she was done she said "oh i have some baby spit on my hands." and he went nd washed, so she seemed conscientious. I was just worried about like traces of old blood on stuff like her pen or other surfaces she touched that had traces of blood tht she didn't know about or see. Cause I know she touched that stuff prior. That would be unlikely though? It would have to be like fresh visible blood right? I know you probably have much better things to do, I just don't want to ask her doctor for test because she told me not to worry and my husband thinks I'm overreacting, my rational side knows she is fine too, but the mom side can't let it go. Would you think she needs the test?

Haylen_WebMD_Staff replied to doxiedog1's response:
Hi doxie,

I think Dr. Palmer gave you an excellent answer - if you are still concerned, ask for the test to be run - you have the right to ask your doctor for this, even if she told you not to worry.

Please try to manage your anxiety and guilt! I'm a mom, so I know all about over reacting! But it doesn't make getting through the day very easy!

Go give your daughter a big hug

Haylen

p.s. Check out our parenting forums here - you can chat with other moms and ask questions there about all kinds of parenting issues: WebMD Parenting Community

Helpful Tips

New treatments for hepatitis CExpert
I'll be appearing on Sirius Radio, channel 114 (on XM, channel 119) on Monday April 14, from 9-9:30 A.M. discussing the new protease ... More
Was this Helpful?
4 of 8 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.