Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Newly diagnosed? See our Hepatitis Health Center to learn more about it.

Hep C scared
ralphschanrock posted:
My name is Daniel and Im a member of the US armed forces and I have recently discoverd I have hep c. I was just wondering what are the treatments for this and how does it affect your health. Im just scared that the treatment will affect me so much that it will end my Air Force career. Thanks everyone for the help

RRichard2005 responded:
Hi Daniel!

I have hep c for probably 15 yrs or so and have lived a completely normal life, got married, had a son, etc. There is a new treatment that involves 3 drugs. Pegintron (Interferon), Ribavirin and a Protese Inhibitor, either Boceprevir (Victrelis) or Telaprevir (Incivek). Treatment length will depend on a few things and your doctor will be able to better educate you on that. Make sure you get referred to a Hepatologist or a Gastroenterologist for further testing such as liver function and to get a genotype, which is basically a test to see which strain you have. You should get a liver biopsy too to see what condition your liver is currently in. Don't worry, it take only a few secs and is painless!

Treatment does have it's side effects. I did it about 6 yrs ago and was still able to work and maintain a normal life. The worst part for me was mild loss of hair and muscle aches. I did the treatment with just Pegintron and Ribavirin for nearly 48 weeks. I took a weekly injection of Pegintron and 6 pills a day of the Ribavirin. Unfortunately, I did not succeed with that treatment. Since new drugs have become available I am giving it another go round.

My advice to you is just calm down, get a good doctor, don't drink and take care of your body! You are very fortunate that you have Tri-care (my husband is military too) so the cost of treatment will be very cheap, if not free! The total cost can be somewhere around $70,000 or so!

Don't worry, you will be fine!!

Helpful Tips

New treatments for hepatitis CExpert
I'll be appearing on Sirius Radio, channel 114 (on XM, channel 119) on Monday April 14, from 9-9:30 A.M. discussing the new protease ... More
Was this Helpful?
4 of 8 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.