Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Newly diagnosed? See our Hepatitis Health Center to learn more about it.

Includes Expert Content
Is Relapse after one year of SVR curable in Hepatitis C Genotype 4
Ravs_Kaur posted:
My mother is a Patient of Hepatitis C genotype 4. sh took treatment for 48 weeks with both Alfa 2b Interferon and ribavrin. She had an early viroligical response and her report was target not detected after 1 month in real time PCR test. After one year 5 months from the treatment now her latest report read less than 12 IU/ml in the real time PCR. HCV RNa test. What can be done now. Does this mean that the virus has come bak. Because her earlier reports have always shown that the target was not detected. Would she have to go through the treatment again. Can some one pls let me know?

Melissa Palmer, MD responded:
The viral load needs to be repeated as when it is this low it is typically an error

billm57 responded:
believe the new testing procedures are much more sensitive- less than 12 means undetectable for all practical purposes - 12 is the lower limit of quantification - i feel they should perform the same assay every time to avoid confusion

Helpful Tips

Coffee and the LiverExpert
Did you know that drinking coffee is healthy for the liver! Studies show that a people who drank a few cups a day were less likely to scar ... More
Was this Helpful?
52 of 74 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.