Skip to content

Announcements

Newly diagnosed? See our Hepatitis Health Center to learn more about it.

Includes Expert Content
Hep C and alcohol abuse
An_244502 posted:
My partner was diagnosed with Hep C a few months ago, and insists her doctor said it was alright to drink with it. I didn't believe her at all. I want to find out what the risks of regular drinking with the condition are, she also has a habit of mixing drinks with valium too, so I can try and discuss them with her. And with any luck convince her to cut the drinking out and get her on a road to recovery... Thankyou.

Melissa Palmer, MD responded:
Alcohol can cause the hepatitis C virus to replicate, can worsen and speed progression of disease and is a liver toxin in itself.

BrendanCross replied to Melissa Palmer, MD's response:
Are the risks of developing liver cancer and cirrosis higher when drinking regulary with Hepatitis C? If so, how does alcohol contribute to the development of them... I need as much information as possible so I can talk to my partner about this maturely and with facts, so it doesn't seem like I'm attacking her in anyway.

oldtiff47 replied to BrendanCross's response:
LET ME TRY THIS AGAIN...DID POST BEFORE...

I AM A LAYMAN....BEEN COMING TO WEB MD SINCE EARLY 99....CLEAR 12 YEARS NOW AND MY STAGE 4 LIVER IS HAPPY I AM....

I KNOW AT LEAST 3 HEPPERS WHO KEPT DRINKING.

1 IS DEAD
2 HAS LIVER CANCER AND ON T/P LIST
2 STILL DRINKING AND WILL DIE

I HAVE ALWAYS SAID....HCV PLUS LIVER DISEASE PLUS BOOZE == DEAD

THIS IS MY OPINION BUT HOW I FEEL...

TIFF
DON'T TAKE YOUR ORGANS TO HEAVEN...HEAVEN KNOWS WE NEED THEM HERE !!

billm57 replied to BrendanCross's response:
yep - alcohol causes fat to accumulate in the liver - this not only lends and leads to cirrhosis and liver cancer but also to increased viral replication and reduction in the immune system response - double whammy - like pourin gas on the fire --- alcohol destroys even healthy liver cells and brain cells and kidney cells and pancreas cells etc etc etc - basically alcohol is a solvent - not only will it dissolve the liver brain and other organs - it will dissolve lives families marriages friendships bank accounts cars homes you name it - down the drain

Helpful Tips

Sexual Transmission of hepatitis BExpert
HBV is 100 times easier to transmit sexually than HIV ( the virus that causes AIDS). HBV has been found in vaginal secretions, saliva, and ... More
Was this Helpful?
13 of 19 found this helpful