Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Newly diagnosed? See our Hepatitis Health Center to learn more about it.

Includes Expert Content
Hep C and alcohol abuse
An_244502 posted:
My partner was diagnosed with Hep C a few months ago, and insists her doctor said it was alright to drink with it. I didn't believe her at all. I want to find out what the risks of regular drinking with the condition are, she also has a habit of mixing drinks with valium too, so I can try and discuss them with her. And with any luck convince her to cut the drinking out and get her on a road to recovery... Thankyou.

Melissa Palmer, MD responded:
Alcohol can cause the hepatitis C virus to replicate, can worsen and speed progression of disease and is a liver toxin in itself.

BrendanCross replied to Melissa Palmer, MD's response:
Are the risks of developing liver cancer and cirrosis higher when drinking regulary with Hepatitis C? If so, how does alcohol contribute to the development of them... I need as much information as possible so I can talk to my partner about this maturely and with facts, so it doesn't seem like I'm attacking her in anyway.

oldtiff47 replied to BrendanCross's response:
LET ME TRY THIS AGAIN...DID POST BEFORE...

I AM A LAYMAN....BEEN COMING TO WEB MD SINCE EARLY 99....CLEAR 12 YEARS NOW AND MY STAGE 4 LIVER IS HAPPY I AM....

I KNOW AT LEAST 3 HEPPERS WHO KEPT DRINKING.

1 IS DEAD
2 HAS LIVER CANCER AND ON T/P LIST
2 STILL DRINKING AND WILL DIE

I HAVE ALWAYS SAID....HCV PLUS LIVER DISEASE PLUS BOOZE == DEAD

THIS IS MY OPINION BUT HOW I FEEL...

TIFF
DON'T TAKE YOUR ORGANS TO HEAVEN...HEAVEN KNOWS WE NEED THEM HERE !!

billm57 replied to BrendanCross's response:
yep - alcohol causes fat to accumulate in the liver - this not only lends and leads to cirrhosis and liver cancer but also to increased viral replication and reduction in the immune system response - double whammy - like pourin gas on the fire --- alcohol destroys even healthy liver cells and brain cells and kidney cells and pancreas cells etc etc etc - basically alcohol is a solvent - not only will it dissolve the liver brain and other organs - it will dissolve lives families marriages friendships bank accounts cars homes you name it - down the drain

Helpful Tips

New treatments for hepatitis CExpert
I'll be appearing on Sirius Radio, channel 114 (on XM, channel 119) on Monday April 14, from 9-9:30 A.M. discussing the new protease ... More
Was this Helpful?
4 of 8 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.