Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Newly diagnosed? See our Hepatitis Health Center to learn more about it.

Includes Expert Content
New Diagnosis...Please help
pauline3406 posted:
I am newly diagnosed with AIH and am so thankful to find this website. It is pretty lonely to have something like this attack your body and not know another person that has the same. I have several questions. My doctor first felt there was a problem due to elevated liver counts. He ordered a liver biopsy which showed I had the AIH. Since then my blood tests have been normal. He doesn't seem to put much stock in that fact. I am very tired, no energy, and DIZZY. I haven't read that anyone has mentioned being dizzy. He has no idea what that is all about. At about the same time I was diagnosed with the AIH, I was suddenly attacked with horrible joint pain in both shoulders and knees. I can hardly move and feel like I'm 90! I have not started treatment for either. Will the prednosone also help with the pain from the arthritis or will I need a separate drug? Should I put off the prednosone as long as possible, or should I start now? My doctor is leaving that up to me. I am very tired, but my biggest problem is the joint pain and it is excruciating. I will see the rheumatologist this week. I will so appreciate all of your feedback!

Haylen_WebMD_Staff responded:
Welcome to the site - you'll find this community very supportive and our expert, Dr. Melissa Palmer, is fantastic.

Here are some links that might help you:
WebMD Hepatitis Health Center

To find drug information including user reviews:
WebMD Drugs & Medication A - Z

Best of luck at the doctor this week - I hope you find pain relief soon!

Haylen

Melissa Palmer, MD responded:
The treatment for AIH depends on your liver biopsy results as well as your blood tests. Medications include prednisone and Imuran and typically will help joint pain significantly. The medications have potential side effects, so the risk versus the benefits of starting medications will be a decision between you and your doctors

Helpful Tips

Coffee and the LiverExpert
Did you know that drinking coffee is healthy for the liver! Studies show that a people who drank a few cups a day were less likely to scar ... More
Was this Helpful?
52 of 74 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.