Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Newly diagnosed? See our Hepatitis Health Center to learn more about it.

Includes Expert Content
should I get treatment?
An_244957 posted:
I have Hep C and possibly cirrhosis. I have seen a gastroenterologist and have had extensive blood tests. I have genotype 1A whatever that means. I am scheduled for a liver biopsy in a couple of days. I am 62 yrs. old and I think I have had the virus for 15-20 years, but not sure. I'm a little apprehensive about putting this interferon in my body as I've heard the side effects are terrible and it takes a year! Isn't there a more natural way to treat that can kill the virus. I know I'll have to make the big decision after the results of the biopsy. Also the doctor mentioned something about an autoimmune hepatitis that the blood test revealed. Any advice on whether I should, or should not go through with this treatment would be greatly appreciated,
FirstPrevious12NextLast

oldtiff47 responded:
IT IS ALWAYS BEST TO TRUST YOUR MD. ASK HIM IF YOU WERE IS PARENT WOULD YOU TX AT MY AGE? GET ANOTHER OPINION PERHAPS. AUTO HEP ALSO? PERHAPS A LOT MORE QUESTIONS FOR THE MD IS NEEDED !!!

NOTHING BUT THE TX'S WILL GET RID OF HCV.

TIFF
DON'T TAKE YOUR ORGANS TO HEAVEN...HEAVEN KNOWS WE NEED THEM HERE !!

billm57 responded:
this may be helpful - but aih with hcv is like the rock and a hard place - steroids are used for aih but are contraindicated with interferon - clearing the virus would be my priority - its possible the aih might resolve or be more easily moderated afterward - best wishes - keep us posted

http://www.webmd.com/hepatitis/connection-between-hepatitis-c-autoimmune-disorders

Melissa Palmer, MD responded:
If you already have cirrhosis, there is not much new information that a liver biopsy will reveal, thus, I am unclear why you are getting one. I am also unclear what parameters your doctor was using to diagnosie autoimmune hepatitits, as often autoimmune markers are nonspecifically elevated in patients with HCV and this does not preclude conventional therapy.
There are no natural ways to eradicate the virus from your body.

ssomnaed replied to Melissa Palmer, MD's response:
Thank you for taking the time to reply Dr. Palmer. All I know is that the Gastroenterologist did extensive blood tests and said that there was an indication of autoimmune hep. and cirrhosis, and that he could give a more informed diagnosis after a liver biopsy, which I had last week. I have a follow up appointment this Thursday for the Dr. to go over his findings. I was wondering if there is a more user friendly cure in the near future for the Hep C? I hate the idea of putting Interferon in my body based on the negative effects that I have read about. thank you, Dean

ssomnaed replied to billm57's response:
Thank ALL who responded. Dean

Melissa Palmer, MD replied to ssomnaed's response:
All oral therapies - without interferon will be available in all likelihood by the end of 2014, however, their success rate in those with cirrhosis may be decreased. Clinical studies are in progress

billm57 replied to ssomnaed's response:
so howd it go - has aih been positively confirned - ive been hearing this phenomenom much more lately and can be misleading as dr palmer said - cirrhotic patients generally fare less well than all others - but triple therapy raised their odds substantially over combo therapy - ive read where cirrhotics are responding even better than triple therapy on a few of the newest meds in trials - as a 3 time failure on combo with cirrosis - im bypassing triple therapy and waiting a few more years or so for easier shorter treatment

ssomnaed replied to billm57's response:
Sorry it took so long to get back. I had the liver biopsy and it appears I DONT have autoimmune Hep or Cirrhosis. I have begun treatment (1 week). So far, nothing too bad, but have felt like I have a hangover (general malaise and depression) hard to explain the feeling, but it comes and goes. I'm taking recommended suppliments, and doing T'ai Chi, and walking and that seems to help a lot. I had some bad burning in the rectum but my doctor prescribed an Analpram advanced kit with cream, wet wipes, and a daily pill, and that has helped a lot. I have found that there is 30 gr of fat in one avocado so I usually eat a half and an oz of havarti cheese when I take the Insevik. If I can help anyone else going through this I will be glad to offer my experiences as I go along. I'm going to the Dr. at week 2 for some tests.

elvee2453 replied to ssomnaed's response:
How is the treatment going? I hope you're doing well. I am about your age and have the same condition for about 25-30 years and my liver damage is transitioning to Cirrhosis. I am in the process of making the decision to getting treatment again now on the triple therapy or waiting for the newer therapies. I had treatment about 20 yrs. ago when it was just interferon. I responded while on the treatment but relapsed as soon as treatment stopped.
I wish you all the best. It sounds like you have the side effects under control. The side effects are my biggest deterrent. At my age I can be grouchy enough without any help! .
Keep us posted!

elvee2453 replied to billm57's response:
Hi billm57. I am at the same point with HCV as you are. I am trying to decide if I should try triple therapy or wait until the newer thrapies are available.
You said that you are a 3 time failure on combo therapy. How many different therapies have you tried? I had treatment about 20 years ago with interferon alone. It lasted 6 months but I relapsed as soon as treatment was over. I tried to get treatment one other time but, when I was in treatment for a couple of weeks the Dr. stopped the treatment because she said I had autoimmune hep markers.
I wish you the best.

elvee2453 replied to Melissa Palmer, MD's response:
Dr Palmer, can you please tell me if there are any medications for HCV in clinical trials that show a better cure rate for those who are HCV-genotype 1A than the ones that are currently available?
Thank you for your reply.

Melissa Palmer, MD replied to elvee2453's response:
Yes. There are numerous medications in clinical trials, some all oral without interferon injections, that have superior cure rates with less side effects. Your physician should be able to refer you to these trials in the area in which you live.

billm57 replied to ssomnaed's response:
well that was quick - best wishes - may your sides remain minimal and your response to meds be rapid

billm57 replied to elvee2453's response:
was on peg-intron and ribavirin ( 05 ) then pegasys and ribavirin ( 07 ) then infergen and ribavirin ( 09 ) --- apparently having autoimmune hep markers and having autoimmune hep are not the same thing as dr palmer indicated and ssomnaeds dr confirmed - further testing would be advised for a positive AIH diagnosis--- many people relapsed on just interferon alone before the addition of ribavirin - i think your last treatment was unnecessarily stopped which is in my opinion a shame - but im not a dr - thank you for your well wishes and i wish you the best also

Helpful Tips

Coffee and the LiverExpert
Did you know that drinking coffee is healthy for the liver! Studies show that a people who drank a few cups a day were less likely to scar ... More
Was this Helpful?
53 of 75 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.