Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Newly diagnosed? See our Hepatitis Health Center to learn more about it.

Includes Expert Content
It's been a long time...but need to ask a ? for all you experts..
MsbnFL posted:
Has anyone of you with HCV also been diagnosed with Narcolepsy or any type of sleep disorder other than sleep apena due to snoring?

If there are any of you with the diagnosis of Narcolepsy and HCV, did the Narcolepsy occur before or after treatments?

I'm just curious if there could be any connection.

Thanks to all! It's been a long time since I've been here...MissBNFL I think was my old screen name..had to change it to sign back on.

I see OlLDTIFF is still hanging around...TIFF...are you still in FL? I'm glad to see you!

Barb

oldtiff47 responded:
YES I AM STILL HERE....NEVER HAVE BEEN IN FLORIDA.....WELL VISIT 50 YEARS AGO....WE LIVE SAME TOWN LIVED IN ALL OUR LIVES...WE WENT TO ALL 12 YEARS OF SCHOOL TOGETHER...

IN ILLINOIS NORTH WEST OF STLOUIS.....

CAN NOT ANSWER YOUR QUESTIONS. SORRY KIDDO...HOPE YOU ARE WELL..

TIFF
DON'T TAKE YOUR ORGANS TO HEAVEN...HEAVEN KNOWS WE NEED THEM HERE !!

MsbnFL replied to oldtiff47's response:
TIFF, I want to apologize that I thought you lived in FL. I have no excuse but the almighty brain fog.

I was dx'd in 2002, did tx's in 2003/04 with Roche Peginterferon and Ribavarin. I am genotype 1A, liver damage (fibrosis), responded at 24 weeks of treatment, but 3 months post treatments showed virus was back. I use to be so active on this board until about 2006 when life and traumatic events spiraled.

For those of you newly diagnosed, please come back and post your questions. It is comforting to know that you are not alone.

I am asking if anybody has been dx'd with Narcolepsy that also have HCV and did the Narcolepsy symptons appear before or after treatments.

Well, I find it now interesting that after reading the 2 year post of under "Popular Discussions" called "Can You Work?" that several posts indicated the answer I'm looking for. I have been experiencing terrible no sleep at night, can't get up in the morinings, have to cat nap during the day. It sounds as if these symptons may be more related to the HCV than Narcolepsy.

I lost my job in August 2010 due to termination of "Falling Asleep At Work". I applied for Unemployment, and to my surprise I did get approved. That Unemployment has ran out and I have been looking for a job for 2 1/2 years. I am scared to death to go back to work and can't function or do the job, and fall asleep again.

I am in a terrible mess, no income and no health insurance. My sisters are supporting me, but I can't go on like this anymore! I am looking into applying for Disability but read on the SSA that you must be undercare with a current Dr and if I read correctly, must currently be on treatments as well. I don't know where to turn for medical help when I have no income or no medical insurance.

Anyways, just wanted to post my question about the sleep problems and now I noticed I just spilled out my guts..lol

Take care,
Barb

Melissa Palmer, MD replied to MsbnFL's response:
Sleep disorders are common with HCV. Narcolepsy can be treated with Nuvigel. If you were a relapser for prior HCV therapy you have almost a 90% chance of cure with new triple therapy. If you have no income of insurance there are assistance programs that will give you the medications free of charge. Also there are plently of clinical trials that provide medication and medical care free of charge.

Helpful Tips

New treatments for hepatitis CExpert
I'll be appearing on Sirius Radio, channel 114 (on XM, channel 119) on Monday April 14, from 9-9:30 A.M. discussing the new protease ... More
Was this Helpful?
4 of 8 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.