Skip to content

Announcements

Newly diagnosed? See our Hepatitis Health Center to learn more about it.

Drug-induced hepatitis -- nodule or granuloma?
allieoops85 posted:
My mom is 84. Recently her liver enzymes went through the roof (one of the enyzmes was 6,600). Within a week both enzymes returned to normal.

Her doctor thinks an antibiotic given by mouth caused the problem. Enzymes went up on her second day of taking Ceftin and Zithromax.

An ultrasound done a week after the onset of the elevated enzymes, on March 19, to investigate a cause for kidney failure subsequent to the liver problem, showed the following:

"The liver is mostly homogeneous in echotexture. There are multiple solid nodules in the liver. The largest measures 2.3 cm in the right lobe. There is no biliary duct dilatation. Impression: Multiple solid nodules in the liver suspicious for metastatic disease."

There has been no followup since the ultrasound. The thinking was to let her recover from a month in the hospital, but the vibe really seems to be, "she's old and has many medical problems, leave her be, do you want to know?, what would you do about the cancer anyway? etc."

I may be grasping and in denial here, but do granulomas ever follow drug-induced hepatitis and could they be mistaken for these solid nodules?

She has an appointment soon with her doctor. I may ask about repeating the ultrasound to see if the nodules are gone. I did read that granulomas will resolve after the offending medication is stopped. Would they resolve this quickly?

Thanks so much for reading.

Helpful Tips

Coffee and the LiverExpert
Did you know that drinking coffee is healthy for the liver! Studies show that a people who drank a few cups a day were less likely to scar ... More
Was this Helpful?
53 of 75 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.