Skip to content

Announcements

Newly diagnosed? See our Hepatitis Health Center to learn more about it.

Extremely worried about transmission risks
guest82 posted:
Hi,

Recent events have me really worried about catching HEP C. Since reading that the virus survives well outside the body, it seems like it could be lurking anywhere. This past weekend, I was at a neighborhood BBQ and I noticed this older man had a cut outside of his hand. He shook my hand and I immediately noticed a droplet of blood on my thumb. I actually walked over to the pool and dipped my hands in the pool, then I went to wash my hands. I also remember that he handed me a cup earlier in that day and I filled it w/ water from the fountain to drink. I do have gingivitis and my gums sometimes bleed. Nevertheless, I was extremely anxious all day due to that experience and I didn't sleep well at all for a few days. The old man, by the way, said he was retired military and I heard that a lot of military baby boomers have HEP C.

Yesterday I went to the gym for a light workout and shook a few peoples hands on the way out. I wasn't really that sweaty and I made the mistake of picking my nose a few minutes later in the car on my way home. That got me really nervous too because I'm wondering if there were any small traces of blood on some of the equipment or on some of the peoples' hands.

I try to be hygienic as possible but sometimes I pick at my nose or rub my eyes and I'm nervous about HEP C transmission because I am around people all day and some people might have small cuts, etc. I even get nervous at the barber shop because sometimes the electric shaver seems sharp and I've never seen them sanitize them (and I've been to several barbershops).

Should I be worried about HEP C from these incidents? I got tested a year ago and I was negative. I just feel it's so easy to get the virus.

oldtiff47 responded:
IF YOU ARE CONCERNED YOU SHOULD CALL YOUR MD AND ASK TO BE TESTED....

BE CONCERNED ABOUT ANY BLOOD....NOT JUST RETIRED SERVICE MEMBERS....WHAT ABOUT THOSE WITH TATTOOS...BODY PIERCING....THOSE WHO GOT BLOOD THAT WAS INFECTED...DO YOU GET YOUR NAILS DONE????

CALL YOUR MD...

TIFF
DON'T TAKE YOUR ORGANS TO HEAVEN...HEAVEN KNOWS WE NEED THEM HERE !!

billm57 responded:
you may be a bit ocd / borderline paranoid there guest 82 - lol j/k - first things first tho - you just assumed the old man has hep c - so thats out the door - hypothetical situations are best left to medical professionals to explore - picking your nose or rubbing your eyes is out - well maybe picking your nose to the point of drawing blood but how often does that happen - if the answer is often well you shouldnt be picking your nose or keep your nails clipped - instead of concerning yourself with the one in a million or billion chances get familiarized with the accepted modes of hcv transport and practice avoiding those

Helpful Tips

New treatments for hepatitis CExpert
I'll be appearing on Sirius Radio, channel 114 (on XM, channel 119) on Monday April 14, from 9-9:30 A.M. discussing the new protease ... More
Was this Helpful?
4 of 8 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.