Skip to content

Announcements

Newly diagnosed? See our Hepatitis Health Center to learn more about it.

Includes Expert Content
AIH and hypothyroid
Anon_179573 posted:
I was just wondering if anyone with autoimmune hepatitis has also been diagnosed with hypothyroidism? And if so were you started on medication for it ? I was just wondering if taking so many medications is ok. It just seems like I am adding more and more medications.

Melissa Palmer, MD responded:
Yes they are associated as they are both autoimmune disease. Once diagnosed treatment is recommended which typically does not affect your liver

mrita61 responded:
I was diagnosed with AIH 16 months ago and just recenty diagnosed with hypothryroidism and put on synthroid. I know the feeling about adding more and more medications. I already take Imuran,prilosec,iron, calicum and fioricet (for migraines as needed) and now synthroid. I asked my Doctor about it being ok and he said it was. I guess I really do not have a choice.

Helpful Tips

Sex and HCVExpert
Since this is understandably such a frequent question, I am leaving up this information. Sexual contact, whether it is genital, oral, or ... More
Was this Helpful?
53 of 61 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.