Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
New HEPC Treatment
jcac623 posted:
Hi Doctor,

A family member is considering participating in a clinical trial Riba A1 Declatsvir and Asunaprav - Bristol MS. She is geno type 1A and has fibrosys. She was on RibaVirab and Interferom a few years back unsuccessfully. Is this something we should be considering?
Melissa Palmer, MD responded:
Preliminary results of the BMS drugs for HCV look very promising, especially since they may eliminate the need for interferon.
jcac623 replied to Melissa Palmer, MD's response:
Thank you for your response Doctor. Would she be eligible to have this new BMS treatment even if she was on treatment previously that proved to be unsuccessful?
Melissa Palmer, MD replied to jcac623's response:
Yes. Typically studies are divided into 2 types - naive and nonresponder. Shae would have to ask her doctor to refer her into the nonresponder study.
jcac623 replied to Melissa Palmer, MD's response:
Thank you Doctor. My sister was under treatment that was not successful a few years back and was excited about this new option of lifesaving treatment because sadly, her liver disease is progressing. Unfortunately she was recently told that she is not eligible for this new clinical trial because she only has her past blood tests but not her past treatment records from her previous doctor - they are mandatory for acceptance. I was surprised to find out that you happen to be her previous doctor and was told, for some reason that you were not sending these past treatment records to your previous patients. I find that difficult to believe. Therefore, how can I get she get her previous treatment records from your office as soon as possible so she can start on this very much needed treatment? Many thanks and God Bless You!

Helpful Tips

Sexual Transmission of hepatitis BExpert
HBV is 100 times easier to transmit sexually than HIV ( the virus that causes AIDS). HBV has been found in vaginal secretions, saliva, and ... More
Was this Helpful?
13 of 20 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

  • Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.