Skip to content

Announcements

Newly diagnosed? See our Hepatitis Health Center to learn more about it.

Includes Expert Content
Antibody HCV from Blood Donor Center
An_246393 posted:
Hi, I have recently received the letter from the blood donor center that my blood has a traced of antibody HCV and the blood donor center wanted to take more sample of my blood. Me and my wife both got the same type of letter.

For the past 3 years, we donated blood regularly every 3 months with no problem but this time we are not sure what happened? We went for the blood donation in June 17th and received the letter July 5th. We went back to the blood center for the blood sampling. It will be another 2 weeks before we know for sure. But I am not sure how accurate the test is but from the blood center, it ought to be pretty accurate. Now we have to wait for 2 more weeks, from researching the Hepatitis C, this virus is so dangerous and can't cure 100% neither. We are planning to have a family this year. We are consider a low risk donor, no special activities -- no drug, no tattoo, no special sex, no blood transfusion. But I don't understand why and how we get this disease. I am so worry. I also have heard the treatment for this is expensive as well.
Can anyone advise on how curable this Hep C is? We don't want to pass to this our baby, we are so worry.
Thank you.

Melissa Palmer, MD responded:
The test done at the blood bank has a high rate of false positive results in low risk people, meaning that the test is not really positive. It is unusual for the blood bank to retest your blood as the test used to confirm whether of not you actually have HCV is not run there. You need to have your doctor run the HCVRNA test and the HCV AB RIBA test to determine if you really have the virus or not. Typically once you have tested positive by the blood bank, even if this test was a false positive you would no longer be eligible to donate blood again.

oldtiff47 responded:
THAT IS HOW I FOUND OUT I HAD HCV IN 1993. MD GP TESTED ME AND WE WATCHED MY LIVER PANELS TILL 1999 WHEN LIVER PANEL WENT UP TO HIGH NORMAL THEN I WENT ON TO A GASTRO AND TX IN 1999.

HAVE MORE TEST AND START YOU PATH IF YOU DO HAVE HCV. I ALSO HAD NO HIGH RISK BUT DID HAVE BLOOD PRODUCT.

TIFF
DON'T TAKE YOUR ORGANS TO HEAVEN...HEAVEN KNOWS WE NEED THEM HERE !!

Helpful Tips

Sex and HCVExpert
Since this is understandably such a frequent question, I am leaving up this information. Sexual contact, whether it is genital, oral, or ... More
Was this Helpful?
53 of 61 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.