Skip to content

Announcements

Newly diagnosed? See our Hepatitis Health Center to learn more about it.

Blood Donor & Antibody HCV
An_246393 posted:
Hi, I am a regular blood donor, every 3 months for the past 4 years. Last month I received the letter stated, they found a reactive antibody HCV in my blood and request for a follow up confirmation blood test again. I went in 2 weeks ago for the blood retest. Yesterday, I got a result back that it is negative. The blood donation center said I should wait 3 more months to re-test again.

Is this mean I am not free from HCV yet? I am a bit confused. I am extremely a low low risk blood donor and this create a highly confusing situation to me.

The blood center used the NAT and Serology test method on both of my blood sample.

oldtiff47 responded:
I HOPE OUR MD SEES THIS....

I WOULD SAY IT WAS A FALSE POS. ......BUT THEY DO RETEST IN 3 MTHS TO CHECK...

THAT IS HOW I FOUND OUT ABOUT MY HCV IN 1993 AND I ALSO WAS LOW RISK.

CALL YOUR PRIMARY MD AND TALK TO HIM OR HER. THE BLOOD BANK COULD HELP YOU UNDERSTAND IT TOO.

TIFF
DON'T TAKE YOUR ORGANS TO HEAVEN...HEAVEN KNOWS WE NEED THEM HERE !!

somchai_hepc replied to oldtiff47's response:
Hi Tiff,

Thank you for your reply. I hope it is a false positive as well. If the retest 3 months from now still test negative, I will continue to donate blood again.

The more I donate, the more this make me feel I help save other people's lives.

oldtiff47 replied to somchai_hepc's response:
I STILL WISH OUR MD WOULD REPLY TO YOU PLEASE !!

I HONOR YOU FOR BEING A DONOR....I WISH I COULD.. BEEN CLEAR 12 YEARS AND MY STAGE FOUR LIVER IS HAPPY I AM....BUT I WILL NEVER BE ALLOWED TO..

DID THEY SAY IF IT CAME BACK NO HCV YOU COULD?

TIFF

Hi Tiff,

Glad to hear your story as well and hear that you are cleared of the virus for 12 years! That is just great!

I have to wait and ask the blood donor center again if 3 months test is negative, I can donate again. If I couldn't, that would be too bad, but if I could, that would be great.

oldtiff47 replied to somchai_hepc's response:
WE LEARN TO HELP OTHERS IN ANOTHER WAY...PAY LIFE FORWARD !!!!!!! YOU SOUND GOOD NOW FOR SURE....I KNOW IT IS SILLY BUT I FEEL I CAN FEEL PEOPLES FEELINGS THROUGH OUR KEYBOARDS...

TIFF

I am not yet happy though only partially relieved until the next blood test in 3 months. Yes, there are many other ways people can help each other out. I would be for sure....

Patty46savedbygrace responded:
If someone has hep C I didn't think he/she was able to donate blood.

oldtiff47 replied to Patty46savedbygrace's response:
THEY ARE NOT SURE HE OR SHE HAS IT....MAYBE FALSE READING...IT DOES HAPPEN

TIFF

billm57 responded:
if you have a positive hep c antibody test you can no longer give blood - however a positive antibody test does not mean you are actively infected with the hepatitis c virus - about 25% of those infected with the virus spontaneously clear it from their system - i believe you were exposed to the virus at some point but your immune system cleared it - sadly - the red cross will no longer accept your blood - even though you are not actively infected

An_246393 replied to billm57's response:
After the re-test, the test result showed non-reactive or negative (2 weeks after the initial blood donation date), the blood donation center was telling in the letter to go and re-test again after 3 months. If during that time, still negative, they will allow the blood donation again.

After researching several website, Mayo Clinic, Hepatitis-Central, and WebMD, they stated a false positive for the low risk blood donor can be as high as 40%. Cross my finger as I am a low risk blood donor with a false positive, but still have to wait and see.

Helpful Tips

Sex and HCVExpert
Since this is understandably such a frequent question, I am leaving up this information. Sexual contact, whether it is genital, oral, or ... More
Was this Helpful?
53 of 61 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.