Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Newly diagnosed? See our Hepatitis Health Center to learn more about it.

treatment?
longsh posted:
was just told i have hep c type 2.i have no symptoms, ultrasound showed everything to be fine,enzymes only slightly high, doc did not think biop was needed, has anybody not took treatment?. i dont like the sounds of it. just looking for thoughts. treatment or wait a while? ive heard it is costly, anybody tell me cost of meds? and how much does bcbs cover? would like to hear from people in same boat.

hepsister responded:
longsh~ I also have geno type 2b and have some mild symptoms. My viral load is about the same as yours. I did have a ultasound and a liver biopsy which showed no damage. Everything I have read or was told confirms; If you dont do the treatment the virius will destroy your liver. It could take a long time or a short time depending on your lifestyle.

I was diagnosed in 1995 and I believe I contracted it in 1987 through blood transfusion , at that time I was told I had (Mono)Hep non A non B which later turned into chronic fatigue sysdrome. I was told at that time there was no cure and if my body didnt beat the virus on its own, it would remain in my blood and could potentually spread to my family (Which it didn't, not even through childbirth). I was told not to share utinsels, toothbrushes and not to donate blood. It wasn't until Dec 2011 did I find out that Hep non A non B IS Hep C , even my Doctors didnt connect the two. I am not a drinker or a smoker I do not use drugs. I look for alternative medicines or treatments I eat mostly organic vegetables and follow a low fat low carb diet and exercise regularly. These are contributing factors to the health of anyones liver. I still have fatigue which is my only acknowledged symptom. I have a Hypothyirodism, and a hormone embalance. During my research I found that one of the livers main fuction is to regulate the hormones all of them the adreanal, thyroid etc... I plan to start treatment at the end of Sept. I am tired of being tired. I hope this helps you deside whether to treat of not.

ralphschanrock responded:

I was told back in February of this year I had hep c genotype 3....i didn't have any symptoms my ultrasound was normal and I to only had slightly high enzymes. My viral load was around 390,000 which the doc told me that was really low. I just started treatment last Friday with my first injection. I'm in the military and I do drink on the weekends with friends. The military pays for the treatment so I went ahead with it. The only symptoms I had since the injection was chills for about 4 hours after injection and just some fatigue since then. I just wanted to get it over with and live the rest of my life without hep c virus. I will be done in 23 weeks!!! However in your case I'm not sure what kind of health insurance you have but I have been told by my doc that it cost about 30,000 bucks without coverage.....just out weigh the pros and cons and make a decision good luck!!!! KCCO!!!

oldtiff47 replied to ralphschanrock's response:
PLEASE PLEASE DO NOT DRINK....YOU WILL BE HURTING YOUR TX....AND YOUR LIVER.....PLEASE NO....TALK TO YOUR MD...ABOUT THE BOOZE...

TIFF
DON'T TAKE YOUR ORGANS TO HEAVEN...HEAVEN KNOWS WE NEED THEM HERE !!

ehines7 responded:
Dear Longsh....
I have been dx: with the Hep.C virus since 1995.. I have spoken with several Dr.s that have been right on target with my disorder...It has taken about 20 years for the disease to take it's root... My enzymes are currently kk however my last liver biopsy came bac with the DX; of 50% worse when the pervious biposy... which came bac with Mild /Moderate chirrosis . had to make the hard decision about treatment options for my self and @ my age the cost of almost 1000.00 a month or more out of pocket is not something I can afford.... I live on S.S. Disability due to Severe Post Tramatic stress disorder and know that suicidie can be one of the main side effects this was not a pill I was ready to compromise on.. but I have found I spent alot of time worrying about this thing and giving it to others.. Just be safe use SAFE HYGEINE Practices and U can live a long and happy life. but if you need treatment can cover the cost of it... U need to seriously consider if it is for you... being treated Early I would think only improves your bodies ability to clear the virus.....
Sorry for the mis spelling I hope you can understand it all....:} and Good Luck to you...

Helpful Tips

Sexual Transmission of hepatitis BExpert
HBV is 100 times easier to transmit sexually than HIV ( the virus that causes AIDS). HBV has been found in vaginal secretions, saliva, and ... More
Was this Helpful?
13 of 18 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.