Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Newly diagnosed? See our Hepatitis Health Center to learn more about it.

Living with someone who has hep c
gwen6336 posted:
Hi, I'm very worried about my 13 yr old daughter who has had upper right quadrant abdominal pains for the past 2 weeks. She has a low grade fever and last week I noticed her eyes were yellow. That has gone away. She had an ultrasound of her gallbladder to rule out stones, they also checked her liver and kidneys. My roommate has hep c and in looking up her symptoms on the symptom checker, that came up as a possible reason for her pain. She altogether doesn't feel well. My concern about hep c is that my roommate is a chronic drinker and I questions his hygiene. For example, uses toilet yet never flushes or washes his hands and then gets into our food. Has open cuts on his hands, has rotten teeth and gums, will stick his fingers in his mouth, scrape along his teeth as he's standing at refrigerator looking for something to eat. He has cooked for us and while cutting up veggies has cut his hand, wiped the blood off with a napkin and leave it on the counter!! I'm scared to death! Should I be concerned that my daughter has caught it now and will we catch it with his poor habits? Thank you for any answers you can give me. I will be taking her back to doctor for testing. I just want him to take me seriously.
FirstPrevious12NextLast

oldtiff47 responded:
TELL HER MD ROOMMATE HAD HCV AND OF YOUR CONCERN AND GET HER TESTED...ONLY WAY TO KNOW IS TO TEST HER...

TIFF
DON'T TAKE YOUR ORGANS TO HEAVEN...HEAVEN KNOWS WE NEED THEM HERE !!

gwen6336 replied to oldtiff47's response:
I appreciate your feedback. I've never lived with someone who has a communicable disease. I'm sympathic to his condition, however, I'm also very concerned about his lack of care regarding the rest of us. Thank you Tiff! I will get her tested. Just waiting now for doctor to call me back.

oldtiff47 replied to gwen6336's response:
I FOUND OUT ABOUT MY HCV IN 93....RECEIVED BLOOD PRODUCT 4 TIMES BEFORE THAT....SO THAT IS MORE THAN LIKELY HOW I GOT HCV...

WE HAVE 3 ADULT DAUGHTERS AND NONE OF THEM GOT HCV FROM ME AND WE SHARED RAZORS TILL 93 WHEN I FOUND OUT...BEEN MARRIED TO THE SAME WONDERFUL MAN FOR 45 YEARS AND HE DOES NOT HAVE IT EITHER...

BUT AGAIN THE ONLY WAY TO FIND OUT IS TO BE TESTED....I AM RATHER SHOCKED THE MD DIDN'T CHECK HER FOR ALL HEPS WHEN SHE HAD YELLOW EYES??????????????

TIFF

In my doc's defense, he didn't know until day before yesterday. Her eyes were only yellow 1 day. It concerned me but I wasn't even thinking about the hep virus. We got her tested yesterday. Her symptoms really targeted more towards gallbladder problems. She still has the pain and fever, however, her eyes aren't yellow anymore. I'm happy that your family doesn't have it. The reason I'm so concerned is that this man has really bad teeth and his gums bleed, he licks his fingers when in the kitchen then touches our food. Many other bad behaviors that concern the rest of us. He drinks at least a 12 pack of beer on work days and is even more irresponsible when he drinks. Because she's had other tests, I'm holding my breath until I get the results. He's also very sensitive when it comes to his disease. I put a note up in the kitchen and asked that everyone wash their hands prior to cooking, etc. and he had a fit, ripped the note up and threw it on the floor. This note was not targeted at him. There are 5 people living here and it was a nice note. My other roommate and I are going to talk to him tonight about it. Because even if my daughter doesn't have it and I pray to God she doesn't, his carelessness is a concern. Any advice? My other roommate and I are very diplomatic and wouldn't confront him in a bad way. Thank you so much Tiff for your time and input. I wish you well!

IF HE IS DRINKING THAT MUCH AND HAS HCV HE WILL NOT BE AROUND TO LONG.....IT IS NOT A GOOD DEATH EITHER....

REMEMBER TO GET HCV IT IS BLOOD TO BLOOD....I HAVE BEEN CLEAR 12 YEARS NOW...AND MY STAGE 4 LIVER IS HAPPY I AM CLEAR......

TOO BAD HE DOESN'T LIKE HIMSELF AND OTHERS MORE...

TIFF

DO KEEP US POSTED ON YOUR DAUGHTER...

I will let you know about my daughter. I appreciate your concern and the information you have given me. We tried talking to him last night and he was very defensive. He started crying and basically cut the conversation short. I started crying because the last thing I want to do is hurt someone but I have to keep reminding myself that I have to keep my children safe at any cost. The scary thing is that he doesn't remember cutting his finger and setting the bloody napkin on the counter due to him being drunk I suppose. I should've heard something today, however, the doctor hasn't received the test results yet. I'm so happy to hear that you take good care of yourself and your family and you have a happy liver!

karend123 replied to gwen6336's response:
I too live with someone suffering with Hep C. He's a good friend of mine and due to hard times, staying with me and my family. I have two young children and a loving husband. Like your roommate, he helps cooking, cleaning and helps take care of my young children from time to time. Hes not a heavy drinker (weekends) but smokes heavily (2 packs a day). He has open wounds on his hands daily and feels bandaids (which fall off frequently) are enough. My husband and family care deeply for this man and wish to help him, but afraid we are putting our children at risk. Part of me wants to tell him to move out, but he has no family and currently unemployed. I've been to doctors appts with him for he doesn't drive. He is currently seeking treatment for liver cirrhosis that we heard is going to be rough. Am I being stupid? I care for this man but not at the risk of my children. Am I over reacting?

oldtiff47 replied to karend123's response:
YOU MUST LET HIM KNOW YOUR CONCERNS ASAP. IT IS BLOOD TO BLOOD CONTACT. KEEP HIS ITEMS AWAY FROM OTHERS IN BATH ROOM. RAZORS TOOTH BRUSHES.

ALSO I WILL SAY THIS AGAIN ...

BOOZE , LIVER DISEASE, AND HCV....MEANS YOU DO NOT WANT TO LIVE LONG...

TIFF

karend123 replied to oldtiff47's response:
blood to blood only? Can blood last on objects? If so how long? We've been told his life expectancy won't be 5-8 years. And that the dying experience is very painful and grueling. So I need to ask you this (because I feel safe to ask) If you knew this was coming, would you choose to continue to live with this person and expose your children? I truly care for this person but the guilt of feeling is something ever happened to my children and I had the choice, I would lose my mind.

oldtiff47 replied to karend123's response:
WHY DOESN'T HE CLEAN UP HIS LIFE........WITH YOUR HELP.....DO TX==TREATMENT.....STOP HIS HCV AND LIVE LIFE...

YOU NEED TO STUDY HOW NOT TO GET HEP....SEARCH ON LINE AND READ WHAT YOU SHOULD DO...

EVEN THOUGH I HAVE CLEARED HCV I STILL TREAT MY BLOOD AS IF I HAVE IT....CLOROX IS MY BEST FRIEND AND HAS BEEN SINCE I FOUND OUT ABOUT MY HEP IN 1993...OUR 6 GRANDS KNOW GRAMMY HAS SICK BLOOD AND IF I CUT SELF STAY AWAY...

MY HUSBAND OF 45 YEARS DOES NOT HAVE HCV NOR DO OUR ADULT DAUGHTERS AND WE SHARED RAZORS TILL WE FOUND OUT ABOUT MY HCV...

TELL HIM IT IS HIS JOB TO GET RID OF THE HCV

TIFF

oldtiff47 replied to oldtiff47's response:
PS.......ALL BLOOD FROM EVERYONE SHOULD BE TREATED AS IF IT IS SICK !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THERE ARE A LOT OF HEPPERS(AND OTHER DISEASES) OUT THERE WHO DO NOT KNOW THEY HAVE IT

TIFF

I just got the results back for my daughter, they did a full hep panel. It came back fine thank goodness! Now, my opinion is this. For the people who contracted the disease as Tiff did, from a blood transfusion and not from a questionable life style, they are innocent and undeserving of contracting this horrible, life changing sickness. It sounds to me that Tiff if a very compassionate person who cares deeply not only for her family and friends but also for her own health. Now, for people that have contracted it by drug use and other despicable ways, I don't feel that they care enough about themselves much less anyone else. I have a very caring heart and feel for people, however, with everything I've read and researched, the person I live with cares nothing about himself. He's sick right now and walks around the house coughing without covering his mouth. If I had this disease, I would take every precaution I knew of to ensure the safety of others, especially children! I'm sorry but I've chosen my children over someone who could care less. We are the advocates for our children regardless of our feelings for others. I'm so sorry you have to face this. My roommate has stated that he'll be moving out. I'm still so nervous having him here that I follow him with Clorox and keep my kids away from him. I'm looking forward to the day he moves.

gwen6336 replied to karend123's response:
I read where blood can live up to 4 days on surfaces. I just replied to your response, however, I think it went on Tiff's page. Take care and I feel for your situation.

I AM GLAD YOU DAUGHTER IS GOOD...NOW HE NEEDS TO LEARN HOW TO TAKE CARE OF HIS BLOOD...

NO ONE NO MATTER HOW THEY GOT IT SHOULD HAVE A DISEASE...MAKES NO DIFFERENCE HOW WE GOT IT WE GOT IT.....MANY HAVE IT BECAUSE OF A BAD MISTAKE MANY DECADES AGO....I AM NOT MAD AT WHO EVER DONATED BLOOD DECADES AGO AND I GOT IT. THEY DIDN'T KNOW THEY HAD IT AND BY NO MEANS MEANT TO SPREAD IT.. IN LIFE STUFF HAPPENS AND WE GO ON AND LEARN.

SHOW HIM HOW TO CLEAN UP BLOOD SPILLS. GIVE HIM BIG HUG I AM SURE HE NEEDS IT..

TIFF

Helpful Tips

Grapefruit Juice-Simple
There has been a study at the Boston MA Hospital about pure and simple grapefruit juice. It WORKS!!!!! I have been on 3 txs including ... More
Was this Helpful?
13 of 26 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.