Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Newly diagnosed? See our Hepatitis Health Center to learn more about it.

First-time to post-Introducing myself
TNBoy29 posted:
Hello, Firstly I would like to say that I'm so very happy to find a community that offers support & advice on HepC. I'm very new to this community however, so if you see that I'm not doing something right let me know. To introduce myself, I'm just recently 29 yrs. old. I live in TN, just outside of Nashville.(Franklin).[br>I've been diagnosed with hepC. It was back in 2008 that I received the news of my illness. Also because I had just recently graduated from college, I was kicked off my parents health-insurance. BIG Problem. I said something to my physician like, "How will I be able to get health-insurance coverage?", He said, "You won't be able to, cuz if they ask I'll have to tell them about these results.!" I was completely devastated. Partly because I wasn't informed properly in the beginning, and also because I was so emotionally fragile at the time. I had just gotten out of drug-rehab, and just the complexities of daily life were extremely challenging & scary to me. I was many times suicidal. For so long I had depended on different drugs to numb my feelings/pain. Now I didn't have that luxury. I am happy to say now that since '08 I've managed to stay clean/free from drugs, with only a few hiccups along the way. That's to be expected though. [br>I had a blood-panel done 2 months ago. The results showed Highly-Elevated enzyme levels. At that time too (Prior to test), I had gone into a little depression, & spent about a week solid drinking beer by myself at my families lake house. I'm hoping that in my next blood test it will show a dramatic decrease, & explain the increase as a direct result of my drinking alcohol at the time of the test. Now I know that Alcohol is extremely bad for anyone having hepc. I struggle sometimes still though with drinking. I am taking steps toward removing it 100% from my life. If there is anyone with a similar story please let me know. I could write a lot more, but I don't want to bore people. Just know that I'm confused, upset, and hoping to find some inspiration so that I can start taking this disease seriously. Thank you for listening.

glowspark responded:
Hey there Tennessee
Yes my story is very similar to yours. I was diagnosed in 2009 with hep c and was told by dr's to wait until better medicine came out. When the medicine did come out i had lost insurance, it was a lengthy process getting back on insurance but i had to get on state insurance, even if it means becoming unemployed to get on it, it is the best advice i have for you. it should cover everything that is involves in treatment. I also had a drug problem (that's how i contracted this disease) but i am a year sober now, from alcohol and drugs. I was only able to stay sober by using 12 step programs. i did drink too after finding out i was hep c positive, a couple of binges here and there, this did not help. We have to remember that alcohol is above all the worst thing for a person with hep c. Anyway i am now a month and a half through treatment which is usually six months long. The side effects are tough, i am 23 years old so its easier for us kids usually side effects wise. The treatment is triple therapy which means a combination of three drugs. you have to take pills everyday and a shot every week. The dr's usually say that you have to be clean and sober before they treat you also you will usually have to have a liver biopsy done. i hope you get on treatment asap. (and we can whine about side effects together. lol) anyway best of luck. i admire your honesty

oldtiff47 responded:
YOU ARE NEVER BORING TO ANY OF US KIDDO....LEAN ON US WHEN NEED BE....PLEASE DO STOP DRINKING YOUR LIVER WILL BE HAPPY YOU DO SO....

I AM SO PROUD OF YOU AND THE FACT OF SUCH A YOUNG AGE YOU KNOW WHAT YOU NEED TO DO FOR SELF...

COME BACK OFTEN AND KEEP US POSTED PLEASE...

TIFF

I AM AN OLD GRAMMY TOO...
DON'T TAKE YOUR ORGANS TO HEAVEN...HEAVEN KNOWS WE NEED THEM HERE !!

oldtiff47 replied to glowspark's response:
GLOW .............I AM SO PROUD OF YOU KIDDO.....SUCH JOY HEARING YOU HELP OTHERS SO VERY MUCH....THIS IS HOW WE ALL PAY IT FORWARD...PLEASE PLEASE COME BACK OFTEN AND KEEP US POSTED AS TO HOW YOU ARE DOING...
HERE IS A SITE THAT SHOULD HELP YOU AND TEACH YOU TO GIGGLE WITH TX==TREATMENT...IT IS SO VERY VERY HELPFUL..
http://www.hepcsurvivalguide.org/comboguide.htm

TIFF

Haylen_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hey there TNBoy29 and welcome - you've found a GREAT community to share, vent and get information.

Being confused and upset is completely understood but I think you've made the first step to feeling better to tackle this by posting here. I know you'll find inspiration from our fabulous community members!

Regarding the drinking, there are a few good resources here that might give you some direction when you're ready.
WebMD Substance Abuse Community GREAT experts on this board who address issues and answer questions.
Alcohol Abuse Health Center Health Tools, Frequently Asked Questions, Exams and Tests, Treatment Overview, Medications, Other Places To Get Help.

Please keep posting to get support and ask questions!

Haylen

Haylen_WebMD_Staff replied to glowspark's response:
Welcome glow! Thanks for sharing!!!

Haylen

TNBoy29 replied to glowspark's response:
Thank you so much for your reply. I was anticipating getting some sort of generic reply, if any at all. So you can imagine my delight when I saw such a great group of people sharing their concerns & advice with me. I'm smiling ear - to - ear at the moment. I don't feel so alone, and it feels tremendous. I would like to write more, but I have to leave in a few minutes. I look forward to coming back to this group often to listen, & share. God Bless everyone who gave their time to helping me feel better. As a former member of the USMC, I'll sign off by saying our motto, Semper Fi.

oldtiff47 replied to TNBoy29's response:
I REMEMBER THE SAME FEELING IN EARLY 1999 WHEN I FIRST CAME HERE.....IT FEELS GOOD TO HAVE OTHERS WITH WHAT I LIKE TO CALL "" MY LITTLE CHALLENGE "" HAVE ALWAYS CALLED IT THAT.....EVEN THOUGH I HAVE A STAGE 4 LIVER I CLEARED AND THIS LIVER IS HAPPY I DID TX AND DID IT WELL....

PLEASE PLEASE NO BOOZE....I HAVE ALWAYS SAID..
BOOZE PLUS HCV PLUS LIVER DISEASE == DEAD...YOU ARE BETTER THAN THAT KIDDO...YOU CAN SHOW SO MANY HOW TO LIVE WITH OUT IT..

PEOPLE CARE ALWAYS REMEMBER THAT YOU ARE NOT ALONE...KEEP COMING BACK NEW FRIEND...

TIFF

Haylen_WebMD_Staff replied to TNBoy29's response:
Please keep coming back and thank you for your service! Is "Oorah" the right thing to say to a Marine? Not sure what branch of the military that applies to but I've always liked it

H

TNBoy29 replied to Haylen_WebMD_Staff's response:
Lol. Yes USMC = United States Marine Corps. "Ooorah," is correct. Than you Haylen for your support, & everyone else that has posted on this forum. "Let it be known that Today is the 1st day that I've decided 100% Not to take a Drink!" It's lovely Fall-weather outside in TN today, & instead of sitting inside feeling sorry for myself with a beer in my hand I'm gonna walk the trails & enjoy the surrounding Nature. -Semper Fi- Latin: (Always Faithful)

Haylen_WebMD_Staff replied to TNBoy29's response:
Way to go TNBOY!

Sitting inside with beer having a pity party is HIGHLY overrated

Enjoy your hike! Ooorah! (I left out an "o" apparently)

H

oldtiff47 replied to TNBoy29's response:
TN BOY I AM SO PROUD OF YOU....IF YOU NEED TO FINE SOMEONE TO HELP YOU STOP DO SO ASAP....THAT WOULD SHOW A STRONG PERSON AND I KNOW YOU ARE THATS FOR SURE.....

SO PROUD I AM

TIFF

Health Insurance in Your State

Learn about plans, benefits, and costs in your state's Marketplace.

From WebMD

Helpful Tips

New treatments for hepatitis CExpert
I'll be appearing on Sirius Radio, channel 114 (on XM, channel 119) on Monday April 14, from 9-9:30 A.M. discussing the new protease ... More
Was this Helpful?
4 of 8 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.