Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Newly diagnosed? See our Hepatitis Health Center to learn more about it.

Hep c through a blood transfusion
Cheryl0315 posted:
When I gave birth to my son who is now 28 I had trouble with getting bleeding under control. I was actually passing blood clots the size of a liver for six days before I went back to the doctor. Needless to say, I had lost 1/2 my blood and one more day of this and I would have been dead. I was admitted to the hospital where I got bag after bag of blood until they finally did a D & C. That stopped the bleeding but...guess what? I got a bag of blood infected with Hep C. I didn't know this until I went to give blood to the blood bank and found out that I had the antibody. I found a doctor that told me I would NEVER be sick from the Hep C because I still had the pregnancy hormone in my body and that would have killed the virus right then. I have recently heard from another doctor that this is not true. I just had an ultrasound done as well as a blood panel which I am waiting for test results as I write this. Can anyone tell me if what the doctor told me is true? The antibody always shows up on my blood panels but no doctor has ever done anything about it until now.

Take the Poll

Is it true that if I received hep c through a blood transfusion after giving birth that I will never be sick from it?
  • Hep c through a blood transfusion
  • Does the pregnancy hormone prevent getting sick from Hep C
vote
View Poll Results

Helpful Tips

Grapefruit Juice-Simple
There has been a study at the Boston MA Hospital about pure and simple grapefruit juice. It WORKS!!!!! I have been on 3 txs including ... More
Was this Helpful?
13 of 26 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.