Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Newly diagnosed? See our Hepatitis Health Center to learn more about it.

I just found out today.
An_251554 posted:
I just found out less then an hour ago, that I am Hep C positive. Right now I feel like i have a walking death sentence. I have no idea what to do, is my sex life now ruined? Can I tell anyone, without being thought of as a piece of garbage, that's how I feel. I told my friend who is back in town for the weekend and just got this news right before we were gonna hang out. I told her I got bad news from my doctor and didn't want to hang out, but she won't take no for an answer. I don;t know what to say to her without making her grossed out. Now I feel as if I am just going to walk through life alone and not know what to do, can some one in my same situation tell me if I should be honest or just keep it to myself. This friend of mine, me and her do not have any thing sexual going on, so she would not be at risk.

oldtiff47 responded:
THE BEST THING YOU CAN DO IS STUDY AND LEARN ALL YOU CAN ABOUT HCV AND HOW IT IS PASSED(BLOOD TO BLOOD)...JUST LEARN HOW BE CAREFUL WITH YOUR BLOOD......GET TESTED AGAIN TO MAKE SURE......THINK ABOUT TX(TREATMENT)...

I HAVE BEEN MARRIED TO THE LOVE OF MY LIFE FOR 46 YEARS....HE DOES NOT HAVE IT....NOR DO ANY OF OUR 3 ADULT DAUGHTERS(WE SHARED RAZORS TILL 1993 WHEN I FOUND OUT)....

I DID TX(TREATMENT) 1999-2000 AND CLEARED(ONLY HAD A 30% CHANCE TO CLEAR)....MY STAGE 4 LIVER IS HAPPY I CLEARED TOO....SINCE I CLEARED I HAVE SEEN 6 GRANDS BORN AND WE HAVE A WONDERFUL LIFE..

BREATHE DEEP RELAX AND LEARN ALL YOU CAN.. YOUR KNOWLEDGE OF HCV WILL HELP YOU MOST

MOST DIE WITH IT NOT FROM IT

TIFF
DON'T TAKE YOUR ORGANS TO HEAVEN...HEAVEN KNOWS WE NEED THEM HERE !!

sandyhill replied to oldtiff47's response:
I agree that you need to educate yourself as much as you can. There is a lot of information out there, but it can be very confusing. It will help to have someone to talk to, so, yes, tell your friends.Tell your family, and educate them too. This isn't a death sentence, but it is a life changing event. Your goals will be to make the changes as easy on yourself as possible. My biggest challenge I think was to not let HEP C take over my life. Every waking moment doesn't need to be about this. Keep your interests alive and continue to grow as a person. I didn't tell everybody so that I still had people I could hang out with that didn't know and I could have some normalicy. Good luck. Keep us informed on how it's going.

paintedpoet responded:
I hope that by now you are less anxious than when you first received the news. I found out that I was Hep C positive after receiving a rejection letter from the Florida Blood services. I finally wanted to give blood in 1997 (for the first time) and lo and behold, that was how I discovered the news. I have been carrying the virus for much longer, though...probably since @1984 or 85. It isn't until now that I am feeling the random tired effects, but since I quit drinking a couple of decades ago, and since I am a vegetarian, and since I quit smoking a little over a year ago, I am much better off than others who are not taking care of themselves while carrying the virus. I tried treatment last year, but unfortunately had an allergic reaction and had to immediately terminate treatment. I am going to try again soon. These days, scientists are creating much better treatments that aren't as difficult to our systems. Make sure you stick with good friends who help you to laugh...a lot! Remember, there are much worse illnesses and this can be overcome, especially if you take care of yourself. Exercise is really important, too. Stick with positive people! This is not the end of life and certainly not the end of a sexual life! Just be careful. Stay informed, but be careful of poor information on the internet...there is plenty of misinformation out there! Peace & Love.

afeatherstouch responded:
I too am in your position and have had hep-c for almost 3yrs
I also thought I had been handed a death sentence but found out different. If you doctor keeps a check on your liver function tests
and explains thoroughly it will ease your mind. If this is a true friend she will understand. So yes be honest if you can.
I wish you the best of luck.
Love and Light to you,
Billie B.

Helpful Tips

Coffee and the LiverExpert
Did you know that drinking coffee is healthy for the liver! Studies show that a people who drank a few cups a day were less likely to scar ... More
Was this Helpful?
52 of 74 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.