Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Newly diagnosed? See our Hepatitis Health Center to learn more about it.

Seek clarification re:mono/hep
An_253651 posted:
Need help/info.Daughter, wanting to give blood, checked w/pediatrician re:OK if had mono when kid. Told she had had mono & hepititis. This was in ~1978-80 when she was 13, in 8th grade.Told she could not give blood. Now denied health ins. Has never had any abnormal liver blood work & hep never manifested. Is she cured? She was honest on questionnaire for ins. Now must report being denied on any future ins apps. Wants to challenge denial. If mono/hep was 33-35 years ago with nothing further developing, does she have to report it?

oldtiff47 responded:
WOW.....PERHAPS ASK INSURANCE COMPANY. WHAT TYPE OF HEP DID SHE HAVE? IS THE PED MD STILL AROUND ASK THEM?

TIFF
DON'T TAKE YOUR ORGANS TO HEAVEN...HEAVEN KNOWS WE NEED THEM HERE !!

CharlieJane replied to oldtiff47's response:
That's the thing. Back then I believe they still only had Non-specific A Non-specific B so she doesn't know what type she was labeled with. And we (parents) don't remember either. It was such a no big thing & we weren't given any instructions or advice or interventions. Surely they would have told us something about what to do about hep whatever. She's called the MD's office-he's retired, all records destroyed. She's seeking other MD input to challenge the ins denial. I have Hep C contracted from blood transfusions after a car wreck in 1968 before blood was tested & was diagnosed Non-A Non-B about 1983-84 following a very sick spell. The only intervention was all my family (husband, daughter, 2 sons) had to take gamma globulin shots. I didn't have to take anything but was in the dog house big time because THEY all had to get the shots. Nothing further developed until late 1990s/early2000s when I had gallbladder surgery. MD said he noted a spot on my liver during surgery & advised I check it out. Because of that little spot Hep C was determined to be the culprit. I tried 2 series of treatments (peginterferon, ribavirin, et al) but unable to stay on either due to side effects. My liver enzymes have always been within normal range & the good Lord has watched out for me as I've had no complications due to Hep. As for my daughter, I would think if nothing has transpired since way back when she probably wouldn't even have to mention it. Don't know. We'll see what happens. Thanks for responding.

Helpful Tips

Coffee and the LiverExpert
Did you know that drinking coffee is healthy for the liver! Studies show that a people who drank a few cups a day were less likely to scar ... More
Was this Helpful?
53 of 75 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.